Quick Dive report - Front Beach 4/25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trappist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddy and I went to Front Beach. we were a bit afraid of the forecast but it turned out pretty good ! It was sunny, a little bit rough at sight but no problem to enter and exit. The winter has completely changed it, at least the beach which now shows rockes where it used to be sand, I have the impression the slope is initially smaller too.

So we went in around 11am (high tide was 9am, too early for my buddy :wink:). We saw other divers getting out and they complained on the visibility...

We went down to 8.2m/27ft for a total time of 61' in a 4ºC water (39F), easy with our drysuit :wink: It did feel strange to my hands... I finally decided to apply some Aquaseal on the big holes I had, suddenly it feels much better than last month's dive !!!!

Visibilty was easily 5m and it was beautiful down there. Huge sand ripples, plenty of sand dollars, 3 skates some decent size bugs (only in lobster pots though), some smaller ones too, but no flounders yet :(

It was so much fun to get back in the water, test our new gear components/repairs... We had a lot o fun with the swell, moving from left to right with the natural current !

We had to go back as I emptied my tank !!!! (I started with 1/3 less from the last dive).

We only missed Dave C. :)

Very. Good.

We just missed you Trappist (in terms of time and dive site)! My buddy and I dove Back Beach on Sunday 4/25, we were helping out with Cape Ann Divers' open water checkout dives. My buddy toted the flag and I took pictures of the open water students. We were in the water around 9:15 and leaving Back Beach by 11. Visibility wasn't too bad, ~10 feet in the shallows, and 15-20' once you got past the first reef. Our max depth was 28' and did two dives of 37 and 28 minutes with the students. Temperature was fantastic! It was 48*F on the surface and 46*F at depth! We saw a lumpfish on our second dive, and a couple small bugs on both dives.

My buddy and I also dove Folly on Saturday 4/24 at night. We got in right at high tide (~9pm), did a 50 minute dive, with a max depth of 39'. Vis was great and there was a lot of life: a couple small winter flounder and one windowpane flounder of decent size, lots of skates, small bugs and one or two keeper sized, the resident northern red, bioluminescing comb jellies, a grubby, rock gunnel, and a sculpin! Temp Saturday night ranged from about 46*F at the surface to 41*F at depth.

All in all, a great weekend of diving!

We just missed you Trappist (in terms of time and dive site)!

Would have been nice to meet you ! Sounds like you had interesting dives in the WE ! Lucky to find a lump fish, I only saw one last year, it's like magic when you can find one like that :)
I hope to be able to go back in the water next Sunday, but the weather forecast does not look so attractive this week :(

Thanks for the nice dive report! I'll be looking forward to diving with you again soon! It's been too long.....

Dave C

Visibilty was easily 5m and it was beautiful down there.

Glad to see that us crazy Americans haven't brainwashed you into using our backward measurement units during your time here! :D

I have no problem to convert back to imperial units... but all my life has been around metric stuff and even if I would quote imperial units, you can be sure that in the background I made all calculations in metric before ;o)

I just did the Nitrox with TDI and I loved it as they have both the metric and imperial, but all the work I have done was in metric ! This just makes more sense for me :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom