Quick Dive Report: Mini-Season, Lobster, Jupiter, w/food picts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We dove on Jupiter Dive Center's Republic IV both days of Lobster Mini-Season. Capt Tom Smith zero'd in on the generous lobster spots and a steady current for no-finning to find each one. 80 degree teeshirt diving and top to bottom clear viz. I entered the FWC's Lionfish Challenge this year and if you Registered > Caught 25 LF's > Send a signed picture,,,,The FWC sent you FREE a 1) a DriFit shirt, 2) Raffle prize entry, 3) LF Coin to catch an EXTRA LOBSTER over the limit legally each day for just mini-season. I quickly hauled 13 lobsters with my coin!!

johnoly_13bugs_lf_challenge2019-jpg.531083.jpg

Diving conditions were great but as @scubadada know's, I always make “Boat-Food”. Cause secretly the Captain and Crew will let you pick a dive spot if you feed them! 1st day was “ Scuba-Kabobs “. Made 25 but by the time I turned around only 4 were left for this picture. Best part of kabobs are if you don't like tomatos or something, you just pull it off and eat the rest. Last item on the Kabob is a mini Snickers bar for desert! Great, easy to make boat food.

20190724_111220-jpg.531084.jpg

Day 2 lunch was a new test item to try. I made “ WALKING TACOS “,,,Whatttt???. Take a vending machine size small Doritto's bag and cut it open sideways's with scissors. Crunch the large chips with your fingers down to the size of a quarter. Pile in the bag shredded lettuce, diced tomatos, Cheeze, Guacamole, and cubed cold chicken chunks. Stick a fork in it and mix it all up. Hold in your left hand, fork in your right, and walk anywhere without spilling a drop! Everyone had doubles and loved it.

20190725_110609-jpg.531085.jpg

20190725_110620-jpg.531086.jpg

We were laughing and had a great bunch of dives in Jupiter. Next up is the 800 pound giant Goliath Grouper Mating 6 week season around Labor Day weekend in Jupiter. This is gonna be so cool to see again!!

Johnoly_13Bugs_LF_Challenge2019.jpg 20190724_111220.jpg 20190725_110609.jpg 20190725_110620.jpg

Capt Tom should be paying you to dive with him!!!

Edit: I am stealing the kabob idea!

Nice post & pics, impressive haul of bugs! Wish there was someone like you on every boat dive!

Great report of a great trip and a successful hunt
Proves my statement that "10 percent of the divers capture 90 percent of the lobsters !"
a big congratulations on your 13 bugs !

question ? if the water was so warm why so many wearing wet suits on the boat ?

comment ! your boat snacks were a capital idea - translates very well as a Boy Scout snack
and that is a huge appreciated complement !

Enjoy your lobsters !

Sam Miller, III

ps
an after thought ..a true story ...as reported in NAUI sources article about me & son Sam IV

"Their four children - daughters Roni, Randi, and Keni, and son, Sam IV - could easily go down to the ocean and catch dinner. They sometimes grew tired of the seafood delicacies that they or their father brought home and pleaded for hot dogs "like the other kids."
In the pioneering days of recreational diving we consumed a lot of sea food

My dive buddy Harry Vetter LA Co early instructor and NAUI # 4 consumed so much shell fish, lobsters, abalone Oysters & clams that he developed an allergy to ANYTHING with a shell-
including eggs!

Don't let it happen to you !!!!!!
sdm

thanks for sharing your wonderful lobster diving trip...enjoy reading your report and photos....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom