Quick Release pockets not so quick.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainhook426

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wondering if I was doing something wrong here? Defiantly cannot dump weight with the little tab, but can just open the pocket about 50 times faster.

Thanks

I have a set of the XS scuba pockets. I have them attached to the top tank band, each holding 2-4 pounds of weight, that I use to balance things out. I also remove the weights through the top flap.
IMO, despite the little pull tabs, they are not designed primarily for "quick release".
I think that for 2 reasons:

1) the amount of weight is probably not sufficient in most cases to be the sole difference between positive and negative buoyancy, assuming that there is more weight in BC pockets, or weight belt or harness.

2) the location (although not always) on the tank bands would make it nearly impossible for the diver him/her self to reach the weight, and as you said, it is pretty easy (for another diver) to remove the weights via the top flap in an emergency situation.
That said, I like the pockets, and find them to be useful.

not my experience... although not some "plastic handled clip pouch thing", I find them very effective in managing weights..... Not sure what you are doing (or not?) when you attempt to release them..... IIRC, its just grab the tab, and pull straight down (my gear is not accessible right now as it is in "winter hibernation").

I have a set on my plate harness, and my wife uses 4 of them on a weight harness.

The comments above seem to do fairly good job of offering advice to the pockets. They are not going to work the same way for divers due to how they locate them and their ability to use the pull tabs. We hope that they do a good job of moving weight to other areas of your diving gear to give you better weight distribution. In the event of an emergency, if they are positioned in a reachable location, you should be able to pull the PVC tab downward to release the weight in the pouch.

Enjoy and dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom