Quick Set - Poppet & Seat Break-In Fixture? Reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe in mine. Had it for years. No regulartor leaves here without taking a ride on it 1st.

Just to play Devil's advocate and learn something...other than reduced air use compared with fifty tiny panting triggers (the best way I can describe that mouth motion I use that doesn't really involve any breathing),
how does this (not inexpensive) toy set a seat any better than 3 hours pressurized on the bench while I work on something else? Teach me.

Leaving the regulator pressurized is very static.

After service or just as a occasional in depth check, I actually tend to leave a regulator pressurized (with the tank valve closed) for a few days to as much as a week and I check every day if (or how much) has pressure dropped. Small pressure drop (overnight) indicates very small leaks and they can be very hard to find and are really not an issue, so I may ignore a very small leak.

The static contact on the first stage seat does help, but it doesn’t set the seat as well as the dynamic action of opening and closing.

I have seen regulators (one very recently) that had a very small first stage creep until I did some quick repeated opening and closing of the seat, very quick short blast by tapping the second stage lever.The dynamic action basically did some very minute seat slamming into the volcano orifice. The IP in that regulator has locked solid since I did that. And it responds and work perfect.

I don’t own a quick set machine and I cannot justify spending that kind of money for one of them, but I would like to have one.

I actually would like to make one with a slightly larger volume draw to create a consistent and repeatable sinusoidal volume draw, for testing purpose. But I would settle for the quick draw machine for starters.

Since I don’t have a quick draw machine, I perform a very dynamic quick set by hand, just manually doing a bunch of second stage lever taps or purge button taps. Then I leave pressurized over night and I do the manual quick set again the next day. I may repeated that for a few days.

If I did a bunch of regulators (like Bryan), I would have bought a quick set machine a while back.

I don't know if this is nonsense or even applies to diaphragm first stages; but back in the 80ies one of the guys who taught me to rebuild regulators (ScubaPro) espoused the idea of "full stroke cycles." I.e. attach the first stage to a tank, turn the air on, then off and purge-repeat process 20-30 times.

Because I'm too cheap to afford the Quick Set device, and from habit, I still use a modified version of this process. I'll try to find a picture of my cycling tool.

Edit: Picture and quote from a long forgotten thread: Really, how much creep is a problem.
"....it is pretty simple. I bought a 175 psi pneumatic relief valve from Granger and put on a couple of adapters so I could screw it into a first stage l/p port. This way I can remove all of the hoses and conserve lots of air when I do the first stage cycling. Air on/air off/pull the ring, pfffft! One cycle."

267003-d566cfbad5588a59b5ffc1723b266e8b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom