Quiz - 17 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physiology

Carbon monoxide is difficult to detect because it:

• a. is inert.

• b. has a sedating effect on the diver.

• c. is odorless and tasteless.

• d. All of the above are correct.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the Diving Physiology Section of the PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook Version 2.02 © PADI 2009:

Objective 2.6 - Explain the physiological effect of increased carbon monoxide levels (including cigarette smoking) on the diver and how they can be avoided.

Question 1

a. is inert.

b. has a sedating effect on the diver.

c. is odorless and tasteless.

d. All of the above are correct.

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

Did I miss the poll earlier or did you fix it?

Not sure of a. but think so. Never heard of b. c. is obviously true.
answer could be d., but c. is correct.
So I can't be marked wrong by putting c., no......?

My same question as a few days ago--- IF the answer to a question is "d. all above are correct", then how can any answer you put be marked wrong?

Hint/Spoiler. I don't remember the names of all of the inert gases, but I am pretty sure CO is not one of them. Also, CO can be converted to CO2 by your car's catalytic converter, and maybe many other methods. Fix one problem, but cause another.

a. is inert.
An interesting suggestion that could depend on how one views inert or noble gases. CO is not one. It is very stable, but can be broken down to C and O2, or can react with O2 to create CO2.

b. has a sedating effect on the diver.
Another interesting idea as CO in a room might make a person drowsy and could even do so to a diver, but detection would have to be accomplished with more effective testing.

c. is odorless and tasteless.
Bingo! If you do smell or taste something off with your gas, then you shouldn't risk diving it, but CO can be present at high and damaging levels without either warning.

The only way to detect CO is with a device containing a special CO sensor,

I propose using a canary in a diving bell.

Not sure of a. but think so. Never heard of b. c. is obviously true.
answer could be d., but c. is correct.
So I can't be marked wrong by putting c., no......?

My same question as a few days ago--- IF the answer to a question is "d. all above are correct", then how can any answer you put be marked wrong?

Because you are confusing answer with selection. There can be multiple answers but you need to make one selection.

Key word detection ...
Good catch. I answered too quickly and did not RTFQ. On my second, and too late viewing, I had a Homer "D'oh" moment.

Good catch. I answered too quickly and did not RTFQ. On my second, and too late viewing, I had a Homer "D'oh" moment.

I have done that on several of the questions as well (including this one) while trying to force my recall as quickly as possible just to see what I do remember with out too much thinking. More than once I have been in the "minority." Or as person once said to me when I was lost in a foreign country, I was wrong, very wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom