Quiz - 34 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physiology

A symptom of air embolism may be ___, while two symptoms of DCS may be ___ and ___.

• a. pain in the joints, fatigue / sudden unconsciousness

• b. sudden unconsciousness / pain in the joints and fatigue

• c. coughing of bloody froth / dizziness and confusion

• d. cherry red nail beds / paralysis

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not the oxygen that causes unconsciousness, it's bubbles that get stuck in arteries in the brain and blocking blood flow that causes unconsciousness.

Those sound like the same thing to me -- blocking the flow of arterial blood is blocking the flow of oxygen. If I'm wrong, then I'm probably missing something about the physiology here, would you care to elaborate a bit on this?

Aha. I had forgotten what AGE actually stands for, and was thinking that it was a lung embolism, hence responding with (c), since coughing up blood is likely a lung problem. But the "A" in AGE stands for "arterial," so we would be looking for problems delivering freshly-oxygenated blood, and sudden unconsciousness is of course one of those. I stand corrected, thank you for clarifying!

I stand corrected as well.

-Z

Those sound like the same thing to me -- blocking the flow of arterial blood is blocking the flow of oxygen. If I'm wrong, then I'm probably missing something about the physiology here, would you care to elaborate a bit on this?
You are correct. I misread what you wrote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom