Quiz - 35 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physiology

In terms of the location of symptoms, air embolism is characterized by ___ while DCS is characterize

• a. involvement of the head and neck / involvement of the arms and legs

• b. involvement of the respiratory center / involvement of the central nervous system

• c. involvement of both sides of the body, either upper of lower / involvement of only one side of th

• d. involvement of only one side of the body / involvement of both sides of the body, either upper of

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the Diving Physiology Section of the PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook Version 2.02 © PADI 2009:

Objective 2.14 - Compare and contrast the various signs / symptoms of decompression sickness and air embolism.

Question 2

In terms of the location of symptoms, air embolism is characterized by ___ while DCS is characterized by ___.

a. involvement of the head and neck / involvement of the arms and legs

b. involvement of the respiratory center / involvement of the central nervous system

c. involvement of both sides of the body, either upper of lower / involvement of only one side of the body

d. involvement of only one side of the body / involvement of both sides of the body, either upper of lower

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

First, finally! Now I hope I am also correct.

Ambiguous wording in the question. Does it refer to typically across many instances of DCI, or for one specific event?

I THINK I recall the PADI wording and THINK I got it right. At the moment, I THINK a wrong answer leads the polls!

d. involvement of only one side of the body / involvement of both sides of the body, either upper of lower

In terms of the location of symptoms, air embolism is characterized by involvement of only one side of the body, while DCS is characterized by involvement of both sides of the body, either upper of lower. Air embolism often resembles a stroke - the entire right or left side of the body is affected, according to whichever side of the brain is involved. (The right brain controls the motor coordination of left side of the body and vice versa). Therefore, symptoms of air embolism appear likewise. In DCS, particularly when it involves the central nervous system, the symptoms are more akin to paralysis. In this case both sides of the body - upper or lower - are affected, according to where in the spinal column the bubble damage has occurred.

Hey, I got it right--and in a minority.

Back
Top Bottom