Rain-x in mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used toothpaste "No problem" spend wisely

RoatanMan:
After it has dried, it will not affect your eyes adversely.

The reported "burning" is from the unevaporated main ingredient: alcohol.

It has no effect on fogging.

Use Toothpaste on your mask before every dive. Works like a charm. If you want to spend money and buy mask defog, you can do that if it makes you feel better. Otherwise, TOOTHPASTE works just fine. Every time, every dive.

Don't know anything about the safety of the product for this use, but the product he is talking about is not the RainEx we all know and love that makes water bead and roll off your windshield. It is a new product by the same company branded under the same name that is applied to the inside of the windshield to keep the windshield from fogging.

I don't know how well it would work or how safe it is, but I think you are probably right about the alcohol being the main irritant, and it seems to me the quantity of residue left on the mask would be miniscule, not enough to cause significant eye irritation. Also, since this product is designed to repel fogging, not rainwater, I am guessing that it would be washed off the inside of the mask after just a few floodings, which would kind of defeat the purpose of using it in the first place.

its weird.. no matter what, usually any mask defogger still makes my mask fog.

Try Johnson's baby shampoo. Works great, though mostly I use it on my goggles when I'm lap swimming.

I have (had) the same problem. Tried toothpaste, softscrub, PSI, baby shampoo, sea gold and other defogger products. The only thing I have found that works for me is "SPIT" Not from my mouth, there is a brand of defogger called "SPIT" It works for me.

xScubaStephx:
its weird.. no matter what, usually any mask defogger still makes my mask fog.

Did you clean your mask reaaly good?

Try using Sea Buff by sea gold it is made to clean new masks. I had a mask that i couldn't get to stop fogging. Cleaned twice with sea buff. Fixed the problem.

Use Johnsons baby shampoo. Cheap and works great. I can get two to three dives out of one coating if you don't rinse it a lot.

am i the only one here uncouth enough to gob into my mask? lol!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom