Raja Ampat - April 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattia_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We spent a great week with Papua Explorers in Raja Ampat - liveaboard was both too expensive and didn't fit our travel dates well, and the idea of staying on dry land and relaxing in the hammock between and after dives was appealing. Great people, great service, and fantastic diving, although a week was simply to short. Definitely want to go back! As diving experiences go, it's been our favourite so far. Dive sites were mostly within 20-40 minutes boat ride, the Passage being a bit further out. Given what I've read about Misool, a liveaboard doing North and South may be the 'dream option' if I can get my girlfriend to agree to living on a boat for 2 weeks - I'm a touch more dive-crazy.

Total of 19 dives in 6 days, a few photographic highlights presented below.

Gear:
- Sony RX100 (original)
- Acquapazza aluminum housing with an m67-AD mount converter
- INON S-2000 strobe
- INON UCL-65 wet diopters (1 or 2, stacked, depending on subject matter)
- INON UFL-165 wet fisheye.

I have a UWL-100 with dome that I will probably take along next time, as the corners on the UFL are not always great, and there's quite a bit of vingetting which zooming in a touch does solve. It is much heavier both in and out of the water, though. Ample opportunity for wideangle and macro, animals large and small, and abundant sedentary life. It was also my second ever trip with a strobe (after renting one for 3 days a year ago), so the learning curve was pretty steep.

We also did a few dives in Komodo, still need to sift through those pics though.

Reef:

Reef Life
by Mattia Valente, on Flickr

Citrus Reefscape

Reefscape

Big Stuff:

A trio of Mantas

Flyby

How to sneak up on a scuba diver...

Medium stuff:

Octo #1

Peacock Mantis Shrimp #2

Squid

Small stuff:

Underwater floral arrangements

Juvenile Clownfish Hideaway

Nudibranch

Tiny stuff:

Pygmy Seahorse

Skeleton shrimp

Teensy Tiny Nudibranch

Link to full album: Raja Ampat - 2016

Comments and critique welcome.

I'm only just starting to get a good feel for underwater shooting, but do think the RX100 is a perfect compromise for me; I have an A7r, but the price and size of housings and wet lens solutions (let alone domes) is too much for me - I'd rather spend that money on dive trips and master this little gem. Or buy a second strobe for the wideangle stuff.

Nice pictures!

One question: On the third manta pic, "how to sneak up on a scuba diver," what are the black bits? The triangle at the upper right and the think wavy black line down the right side.

I was flustered and the wet lens was screwed on crooked ;-)

LOL! A picture with a subplot. Priceless! :-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom