Raja Ampat Flight Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. Got the entire boat. Really looking forward to it as it will be my first trip to RA.

You're a pro as many times as you have been!

But before that trip I have a fishing trip to Costa Rica in February, a quick Cozumel getaway in late March, the Solomons on the Bilikiki in May, Little Cayman in August, and Socorro in November. Going to be a great year!

Wow! Indeed! Sounds like what I did last year (Red Sea, Oman, Wilmington, Flower Garden 2x, Channel Islands, Cocos, Jupiter, Maldives & Socorro).

If you haven’t been to Socorro, I went there last month, check out my trip report: Socorro 22-30 December, 2018 Trip Report

My diving trip this year would be fewer (Flower Garden, Fujairah, Oman & Ring of Fire), perhaps half of last year.

I read it.

Brought back memories. I was there in November of 2014 so it will be 5 years by the time I go back this November. The place is getting crowded. Seems like more boats join the mix every year.

One more thing...since you're leaving from JFK, you'll also have the option to fly Singapore Airlines instead of Cathay Pacific.

Good point. Time difference between US eastern standard time and western Indonesia time is 12 hours. So distance to either direction (eastward & westward) is the same. Now it is just a matter of which flight has fewer stops, shorter layover / transit time and more economic / value. Singapore Airlines has been my favorite.

Hello Everyone.
It looks like we will fly Cathay Airlines out of JFK thru Hong Kong to Jakarta. Also, while I am looking at flight options from JFK because we live on the east coast, I am open to leaving from pretty much anywhere in the US if there are better options. My plan is to arrive in Sorong on a Saturday morning. We board the boat on Monday morning. That would give me all day Saturday and Sunday to rest up and allow for any flight issues. Ash

Since I can easily use miles to get me from RDU (Raleigh/Durham) to any of the major international hubs like LAX, ATL, JFK, IAH, etc., I’m pretty flexible on which of those I start from. Seems like the prices out of LAX are better as I’m assuming there is more competition for your business from there.

Getting to Jakarta

I don't think there is a 'best way' to travel to Jakarta. There are endless combinations of airlines/alliances/flights that will get you to Jakarta. Cathay - via Hong Kong - IMO, a very good option.

USA departure point doesn't make a lot of difference. If you live in a city with nonstop flights to Asian hubs, you are one connection from Jakarta. Via Europe - if you have a nonstop to AMS, Garuda flies nonstop to CGK. Skyteam would make this a viable option. Fewer flight segments may be better.

The devil is in the details. Do you have miles for biz or coach? Upgrade considerations? City connect preference? Connection time bias. Cheap one connection route that puts you in a just OK seat, as opposed to miles with a more circuitous routing and a flat seat to sleep on? What works well for you may not be someone else's choice.

Getting to SOQ prior to your liveaboard sailing is the 'big' thing. Everything becomes expensive if you don't make it.

I believe it is critical to have all of your flights on the same PNR/Itinerary. If something goes wrong the airline/alliance will be responsible for getting you and your checked baggage to your final destination. One ticket - using miles to xyz point - and then a separate ticket to CGK, especially on the same day might lead to problems. What happens if your checked pieces don't come down the conveyor belt on your award ticket? What if the award flight goes tech and you miss the first leg of your international itinerary? You have problems in both cases - with luggage, money and time.

Have you looked at the BIG 3 China airlines? Their economy fares are often quite low and their biz class is often thousands below the traditional carriers. The downside - variable service standards and lack of assistance when problems arise. An example - DEN-CGK RT in biz for our spring dates is $2.8k on CE. Singapore, my favorite, is ~$8k, UA is ~$6.5k. Last week I saw a China Southern coach fare ~$550.

Is Singapore (SilkAir), SIN to Manado on your radar? Operates M-W-F-S, leaving SIN at ~9am, arrives MDC at ~1pm. Lion and Sriwijaya have AM nonstop flights to SOQ I have met divers who swear by this route. Common among them is a dislike of the CGK-SOQ redeye and the CGK airport.

BTW - Cathay's premium economy, particularly in the bulkhead row, is a solid product and certainly better than UA's outdated 2-4-2 biz class.
Sorong

CGK to SOQ, we like Batik. Garuda is fine. Then you have NAM and Sriwijaya.

Staying at the Swissbel or the Belagri? SB has a nice pool, passable food and is spotless. I suggest you pass on the buffet at SB, rather order off of the menu. Belagri has better food, a nice view from their hilltop perch, not as nice a hotel as SB. At the SB - upgrade to the larger room for only a few dollars more.

Two nights in SOQ - why not? I find Sorong to be much maligned. While it is undoubtedly a 'gritty' town, the folks are quite pleasant. Forgot something? Saga is just down the street and well stocked with basics. Don't walk - taxi or the Indo version of the MX collectivo. Interesting and good food in town if you should decide to venture out for dinner. You could hire a car/driver and see the surrounding area - the oil/gas complex is interesting and the countryside pleasant.
And then SOQ to CGK

Here, the time change works in your favor. The ~8am Garuda NS to CGK arrives ~10AM. Plenty of time to make Cathay's last flight of the day, ~230PM flight to HGK. Your plans if the Garuda flight doesn't allow you to make the Cathay flight? Its INDO, things do go sideways.​

IDR?

You will need the local currency. Same options for INDO as the rest of the world. We like bank ATMs at CGK. Go heavy, you can use the money for boat extras and tips. I keep the USD equivalent of $100 in IDR for the next trip.
VISA?

Are you staying more than 30 days?
Airport Hotel at CGK?

We like the FM7. Traffic is a problem - time of day doesn't seem to make any differnece.​

Bad Luck - the liveaboard sailed without me - not what?

How deep are your pockets? Helo deep? Private boat deep? Or public transport deep?

If your boat starts out in the KRI area - there is an inexpensive daily high speed boat to Waisai, the capital of the RA Regency. Its a two hour trip. Maybe your LA would send their chase boat to pick you up? Maybe you could hire a private boat in Waisai? Your boat is in the FAM area? Same idea.

Boat sails directly south to Misool? Big problem here. Take the ferry from Sorong to Yellu? Doable, but doesn't operate every day and its slow. But there are 'sleeper cabins'. Might work, but unpleasant. Helo time, most likely.

Thanks for all the info! Lots to think about.

I did have an overnight suggestion that if I wanted to overnight somewhere to rest up to do it in Jakarta instead of Sorong. The FM7 seems to the consensus as to where to stay. It looks really nice. If I take that approach, then I won’t be worried about what time I get into Jakarta.

Reactions: Dan
We stayed over in Jakarta at FM7 worked out well. Big (and of course cheap) spa there is a good place to go when you are awake and the food in the 2 restaurants was pretty good. If you get or leave there at a crazy time it just means maybe less traffic so you can see it as a plus. We overnighted in Sorong as well though, in case something went wrong with the domestic leg.

@Cert1967 had great points and so comprehensive too!

However, I would stay away from the 3 big Chinese airlines unless your only priority is to cut costs. My opinion and many others (so YMMV). This opinion was formed long before the foreign relations fiasco.

And I 100% agree with Cathay’s Premium Economy class - it’s a lifesaver for me (can’t afford business class, but can’t stand economy?)

My opinion on Swissbel? It’s very nice, good friendly service. Inside buffet was cold, outside buffet was picked on by birds, food off menu while tasted fine, was salty and lukewarm. Again my experience so YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom