Raja Ampat - General Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimson25

New
Reaction score
First time poster, but have read most of the posts regarding Raja Ampat. Any advice or information I appreciate and thank you in advance. There isn't a ton of information on Raja Ampat out there, and most of it tends to be dive-related, so I figured I'd turn to the best source, you guys.

We would be a group of 6 looking to book a private charter for 7 nights next Feb 2019. 4 of us are divers, 2 are not. The 4 divers are not hard-core divers, we may opt to do 5 or 6 dives total during the week trip. We enjoy diving, but don't want to do it nonstop the whole trip. I have done a few drift dives, I don't believe the others have. I/we enjoy free diving / snorkeling just as much as diving. The non-divers enjoy snorkeling.

So you may ask, if not hard core divers, then why Raja Ampat? We're looking for remote, pristine off the beaten path, marine / tropical trip. Would also like to do some quality snorkeling/diving as mentioned above. RA seems to fit the bill. We would be perfectly content anchoring in a secluded cove, snorkeling and kayaking around for the day (to give you an idea of what we're looking for). You may ask why not do a resort? We like the freedom of the charter and like I mentioned - want to get away from it all and be remote.

Now for my questions:
- How rough would be seas be in February as we move between locations? We have some concerns about sea-sickness
- Is there enough "to do" in the area for non-diving activities? Hike Pulau Wayag for example, visit Pasir Timbul beach, Painamo Star Lagoon, etc
- Are there other locations more suitable for something like this? I've looked at other pacific island locations, but none seem to have the high quality snorkeling/diving, remoteness, charter option

Thanks again!

Inner Raja Ampat, like inner Komodo & Palau, is covered by many tiny islands that block ocean waves, so the sea is mostly flat like lakes. They are also in equatorial zone (warm water). That’s why they are ideal for warm-water recreational divers. I’ve been there in February. It’s a good month to be there.

You mention good places to visit. You may also research on Pulau Pef, Saonek, Cape Kri, Mansuar, Arborek, Blue Magic dive site. Just browse some YouTube about the places I mentioned. Here is one:

I think it is fair to say that Cape Kri is known for very strong currents.

I don't know anything about chartering boats but some on this list do. You're going to end up going where the boats will take you I guess.

- Bill

What is your potential daily budget for a full boat charter? Contact me via PM and I can point you in the right direction..

Mike will help you. There are some smaller charters available, but they can get a bit pricey. It's the only way to avoid a dive-centric itinerary.

- Is there enough "to do" in the area for non-diving activities? Hike Pulau Wayag for example, visit Pasir Timbul beach, Painamo Star Lagoon, etc

I would lean toward the answer no. You might trade down on the diving destination to get more non-diving activities. Perhaps a Banda itinerary would be better for non-diving activities.

If you are up for resorts there are at least two (expensive) resorts which are good for divers *and* non-divers: Misool Eco Resort in the south of RA, and Sorido bay in central RA.

Inner Raja Ampat, like inner Komodo & Palau, is covered by many tiny islands that block ocean waves, so the sea is mostly flat like lakes. They are also in equatorial zone (warm water). That’s why they are ideal for warm-water recreational divers. I’ve been there in February. It’s a good month to be there.

You mention good places to visit. You may also research on Pulau Pef, Saonek, Cape Kri, Mansuar, Arborek, Blue Magic dive site. Just browse some YouTube about the places I mentioned. Here is one:

What's "Inner Raja Ampat" Dan? I have never heard that term. I have seen locales near Misool that have the quality you described.

- Bill

What's "Inner Raja Ampat" Dan? I have never heard that term. I have seen locales near Misool that have the quality you described.

- Bill

North of South Misool, East of Penemu, South of Wayag, West of Cape Kri

Back
Top Bottom