Raja Ampat Liveaboard 2019 help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for replies.

I'm starting to plan a trip to Raja Ampat for December 2019 or Feb 2020. Most likely 7-8 nights. Ive been looking through the boards, but some questions:

1. I know weather is up to whatever you believe in, but is either month better than the other for visibility or marine life?

2. Anyone had any experience with the Aggressor? So far it has the best combo of nights and rates plus itinerary. Similar suggestions are welcome.

3. One of my friends wants to get certified this summer and is interested in going with me, granted of course on how well he likes diving. How do you rate the level of the difficulty diving in Raja Ampat? Would a fairly new diver be okay? Ive have dived in the Andaman Sea, Cozumel, Roatan, Caymans and Florida Keys. Anyone who can compare the levels would give me a good idea.

4. Most likely the itinerary is Soroong to Soroong? Any comments on the dive sites or better options?

I know its a way out, but I like to explore as many angles as possible. Thank you for your help.

Nashwl

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for replies.

I'm starting to plan a trip to Raja Ampat for December 2019 or Feb 2020. Most likely 7-8 nights. Ive been looking through the boards, but some questions:

1. I know weather is up to whatever you believe in, but is either month better than the other for visibility or marine life?

2. Anyone had any experience with the Aggressor? So far it has the best combo of nights and rates plus itinerary. Similar suggestions are welcome.

3. One of my friends wants to get certified this summer and is interested in going with me, granted of course on how well he likes diving. How do you rate the level of the difficulty diving in Raja Ampat? Would a fairly new diver be okay? Ive have dived in the Andaman Sea, Cozumel, Roatan, Caymans and Florida Keys. Anyone who can compare the levels would give me a good idea.

4. Most likely the itinerary is Soroong to Soroong? Any comments on the dive sites or better options?

I know its a way out, but I like to explore as many angles as possible. Thank you for your help.

Nashwl

Hi Nashwl,

It's not too far out to plan, or at least to gather information. Many resorts and LOBs book out way in advance. I have only been on Mermaid and loved it. Been on it 6 times now, and at some resorts, too! Lucky me.

Most itineraries might be 10 days - really this is 8 diving days, as they count the day you get on the boat and the day you get off the boat as a "day".

As far as I understand RA is mostly "closed" from like May or June to August due to winds. So I would counsel no sooner than September. My impression is that earlier in that period the viz can be poor because there are more nutrients in the water - hence more fish! After say Feb, the viz is better but there are fewer fish. The optimum time might be Nov - Dec - Jan? Others might have different opinions.

Indonesia is the land of currents - to see why, Google "Indonesian Throughflow". The currents are not always just one direction, either. They can come and go a bit, and swirl, too. Don't let that scare you off, let it provide an urge to get informed and prepared. The phase of the Moon makes a big difference, just after a New or Full Moon you should expect more currents. One approach might be to begin your trip around a quarter moon, so you get used to things before the full Moon hits.

Some folks will say "Oh just get a good DM and you'll be OK". I rather say: "get informed, prepared, make sure you bring your safety gear, ...and get a good DM and you'll most likely be OK and have a great time". Listen to the briefings and don't go on any dives you're not ready for.

By "good DM" is meant someone with experience in the region and in the specific dives sites you will visit.

For currents, A lot depends on the specific dive site. Those in the Dampier Straight area tend to be more currenty, those in the South much less so. But still, in the south we do have pinnacles with sometimes strong current and reef hook dives with negative entry.

Consider spending some time in the region after your long flight to get accustomed to the time zone, get rested, etc. I like to dive in Bali in Amed where there are quite good dives without any current, and get my weighting and everything just the way I want it before I jump on a boat for which I have spent months of savings. Bali is a nice place to visit and you might want to add that to your itinerary for the topside activity as well.

You'll have a GREAT time! Hope this is helpful.

- Bill

Thanks Bill,

I have looked into the Mermaid's and they look like a nice option as well. Most likely it will come down to what schedule fits my time off from work. I am definitely going to be in Soorong the day before the liveaboard. I made that mistake when I flew into Phuket.

I was on the Raja Ampat Aggressor in October 2017. It is a great boat with an excellent crew and very good food. Divers are split into 3 groups and take turns being first with staggered entries off an inflatable (they have 2). I would return on that boat but would suggest you do a 10 night itinerary instead of a 7 so you can see more, especially the southern parts like Misool. I regret not going for the few extra days. Let me know if you have specific questions.

On average, I would say the diving may not be as beginner friendly. All diving is done off inflatables and there were some entries that required negative descents due to strong currents and ensuring the group stays together while hitting the split point. Quick descents and experience equalizing quickly while sorting out any gear or comfort issues are important. There are obviously no mooring lines to aid someone in ascending or descending, either for holding onto or for visual reference. There is some drift diving, there is some swimming against the current. I would rate the dives more difficult than Cozumel. Another thing to think about is whether your friend is okay diving for 6 days in a row, up to 4 dives a day. It isn’t for everyone and is an even bigger expense if they are not doing all the dives. I do recommend nitrox for the depth, duration, and repetitive nature of the schedule.

I did a 7 day trip and max average depth was 70 feet, max depth was 109, overall average depth was 39 based on all dives. Shortest dive was 43 minutes, longest was 68 minutes. Average was 59 minutes.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Aggressor.

Thank you everyone. . Luckily I have time to plan.

Outofoffice, thanks for the info on dive conditions and the Aggressor. Ill continue to research.

Like Bill says, Nov-Jan is the optimum time to be there. So, try to go in Dec & for longer days to cover Misool.

Now Is time to book your trip. I have also been there 6 times. I already booked for my 7th trip from Dec 24, 2019 to Jan 3, 2020 with Putri Papua and my 8th trip from Jan 14 to 25, 2020 with Amira. The later is a special Larry Smith Memorial Charter that I cannot miss.

Other liveaboards that I have gone there with are La Galigo & Temukira. Check them out. Mermaid is better of course, but I have only been with Mermaid I on Bali-Komodo roundtrip, which is still one of the best liveaboard trip I have ever been. Palau Aggressor II comes second from my experience, so it sounds like Raja Ampat Aggressor would also be just as good from what @outofofficebrb feedback. You have plenty of liveaboard options to choose.

Bumpity bump.

Looks like I will be making my dive in Raja early December of this year. I am down to the Dec. 3 Mermaid I or the Dec 4 Aggressor trip. Still looking and making my decision. My flight have already been picked out, with buffers the day before and a couple days after the trip.

Any last minute advice or recommendations? Any immunizations that are recommended?? What do you recommend doing between the red eye flight ( 7AM arrival in SOR) and check in time at the hotel?

Thank you guys for all the advice so far. Should be an awesome time.

Bumpity bump.

Looks like I will be making my dive in Raja early December of this year. I am down to the Dec. 3 Mermaid I or the Dec 4 Aggressor trip. Still looking and making my decision. My flight have already been picked out, with buffers the day before and a couple days after the trip.

Any last minute advice or recommendations? Any immunizations that are recommended?? What do you recommend doing between the red eye flight ( 7AM arrival in SOR) and check in time at the hotel?

Thank you guys for all the advice so far. Should be an awesome time.

Both times I arrived in Sorong at the Swiss Belhotel, they gave me my room within 1 to 1.5 hours of arrival. Maybe I got lucky.

I will be on the Mermaid 1 on Oct 4 in a different region so won't be able to tell you about the boat until then. I have been on the Raja Ampat Aggressor and I highly recommend it. The food is very good, the dive op and crew are excellent. Are both for the same amount of time and exact same itinerary? I would err on the side of the longer itinerary if possible. Raja is worth it. I did not get any special immunizations and I did not take malaria pills either.

I recommend that you get a hotel room for the night BEFORE so that a room is ready for you when you arrive. Unless you like sitting around the lobby for several hours. Swissbel Hotel is OK for a night or two.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom