Raja Ampat - Liveaboard or Land Based?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May have to push for a grander 51st, LOL. Our idea of "land-based" activity is usually visiting any local village if allowed (e.g. like you can in Fiji), playing beach pong for the afternoon, etc. We're pretty easy, in terms of not needing organized activities. We've done fine snorkeling all afternoon from a cat in a bay.

RE a land-based resort - assuming it's easy to get to lots of good diving and not feel like we've missed out?

RE a liveaboard - best booking site? Liveaboard.com? Paid.com travel?

Book direct with operators. Padi and liveaboard are the same price as direct, but personally I find them frustrating to deal with, usually much Slower than dealing directly with the operator and more often than not the information on the website is inaccurate or direct questions are not answered sufficiently IMO. I’m currently rolling my eyes at another email from liveaboard answering a question I didn’t ask and not answering the question I did... I’m only using them because they did suggest an operator in an email and although I was already dealing with that operator directly, the email prompted me to ask the operator a specific question, so I told the operator I think they should get the commission and I’ll book through them...

Although since then it’s been a bit of a slog to get the answers I want to be honest.

‘one benefit of liveaboard.com etc though is that they don’t charge credit card fees.. so that is a plus FYI. But other than that they are just asking the operator the same questions you can...only much much much slower....they are friendly though and well meaning, just a bit lame. I also sometimes dive on boats not included on their websites, although they have a very good starting selection to educate yourself on..although the ‘ratings’ on liveaboard.com are famously about as accurate as Pinocchio’s resume.

Misty, I think that you should just go to Bali. You only want 2 dives a day. No sense in going through what you'd need to go through to get to RA for 2 dives a day.

I quite enjoyed the dives off of Bali. It's not RA diving but it's pretty good. Mantas and last time that I dove there, also had a juvenile whale dhark come over to see what we were up to. Also saw a couple of mola Mola, even though wasn't in season

Talk to Underwater Tribe. Based in Bali and as a first time visitor can help you figure out what you want. They know Indonesia diving from local Bali diving to resorts all through Indonesia and liveaboards. Won’t cost you extra and you get the benefit of working with someone that is intimately familiar with the country. Have booked several trips with them and have never regretted it.

I suggest a couple days in Bali to relax and explore, then a liveaboard in RA. I think that if you get on a boat and you see how relaxed the schedule is you will find yourself enjoying 3 dives a day, cocktails then sunset. Lots of boats have kayaks and SUPs to use when not diving and there can be village visits and most boats do the Penemu walk for amazing views. It is a magical place for sure so you can't go wrong. If you decide to dive in Bali... look at Underwater Tribe, they took phenomenal care of us.

I would love to go to Wakatobi, but we already have a family reunion that was postponed from July 2020 to July 2021 due to COVID, and it's in Scotland. And we live in Dallas. And I got laid off due to COVID and am starting my own business. So the budget is tighter than usual :(
Have you considered diving in Scotland? There are loads of dive sites.

I can only echo that RA is a hassle getting to and I am not sure if it's super entertaining for your partner. If you really take the pain and go there, you should stay 2 weeks minimum.

Why not go for a combo with Bali and Komodo (which comes quite close to RA) - take a nice wooded boat for 5-6 nights with some snorkling and land activities (Komodo Dragons). Then go back to Bali for temples, food and some nice diving.

Unfortunately, I understand that Indonesia will be closed at least until end of 2020

Have to nix this idea. I get cold in anything below 80 degrees (yes, I wear a full Lavacore under a full 3mm with a hood in 80-degree water). Strictly a tropical diver! I'll stick to golf in Scotland.
If you do Facebook, here are some pictures from Scottish diving this year. The water is now a warm 12'C; I'm out again tomorrow in Loch Long.

I would second Bali and Komodo. It’s easier travel for first time visitor and cheaper on the budget. Plus, once you dive Indonesia you’ll may want to visit on an annual basis!

Back
Top Bottom