Raja Ampat Liveaboard vs. Land

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right, Jakarta - Sorong could be more expensive then international flight with Sorong added on. I flew Garuda last year, Hong Kong to Jakarta to Sorong and it was cheaper then just Jakarta to Sorong with them. I booked directly on Garuda website.
I have been on a few LOBs in Indonesia, all phinisi style boats. Amira, Tambora, Indo Dancer what is the Indo Agressor now.The best one was Amira. And I always stayed down below, and never had issues with fumes. The wooden boats are creaky but I love how roomy they are.
On Amira, my room was right next to the camera room which was very convenient.
Amira office used to book my domestic flights, foreign cards didn't work for online bookings. But now, I use Garuda directly or skyscanner.com.
Have not heard Amira yet. It appears to be a nice size yet old. Was the room clean and beds were comfortable? How was diving operation (good guide)? No problem with diesel fume? I am sensitive to smell (more so than noise). Thank you.

Have not heard Amira yet. It appears to be a nice size yet old. Was the room clean and beds were comfortable? How was diving operation (good guide)? No problem with diesel fume? I am sensitive to smell (more so than noise). Thank you.

PBI (politely butting in) but Amira is one of the best boats in Indonesia that you can be on. I know many people who have been on it and they have had no issues.

Amira is one of the best boats in Indonesia, the best I've been on. It one of the biggest too.
The owner is Swiss and upkeep is great. I only stayed in lower cabins, there was no issues with smell. The rooms get cleaned every day. The back dive deck is very well designed, don't have to walk down any stairs with your gear. The staff are also very good, some been there since the boat was built.

Everybody on this thread likes Amira. Thanks for the reco!. Will definately keep it on my list. The listed price is beyond my price range. I hope to find promotion or last minute offer.

Hi,

I heard great things about Raja Ampat and just started to look into itinerary for my first trip to RA. It appears to be a wide area so a liveaboard seems to be a good option to cover both Misool and central RA. Would 8 night trips including 3 days in south (2 days in Misool + 1 day in Daram) and 4 days in central (Melissa's garden, Kri & Mikson area) be a good itinerary in terms of hitting the best diving spots in the area?

Additionally, I am considering 3 additional days land base. Would you recommend south or central? I just want to go back to best sites to see nice corals and/or lots of fish. Proximity wise north seems to be easier. If diving in Missol is much better, I would go back there. However, I am not sure whether I can find a good and dependable local dive guide and a clean accommodation (basic is ok). If you have done it, do you contact or suggestions?

Would it be too hassle to travel to Misool by my own? Misool resort looks nice but is expensive for me. Would it be easier if I sign up for a longer liveaboard trip? 10 nights plus??

How is sea condition Dec - Mar? I avoid small liveaboard boats if sea can get rough. I would like to chose liveaboard with clean rooms and good dive operation while avoiding boats with bad engine noise and smell fume. Any suggestions for liveaboard operator? My price range is $3,500 and below for 8 nights. Since I am alone and my vacation days are flexible, I am willing to wait for specials or deals.

In regards to airline tickets, has any one had success buying tickets from the U.S. (preferably west coast) to Sorong all together? I figure buying domestic tickets with internaltion is beneficial in terms of pricing and baggage allowance. I was able to find tickets from Singapore - Sorong together (Garuda) that is cheaper than Jakarta - Sorong. But I was not able to figure US all the way to Sorong without separate ticket purchase.

Many questions. Will appreciate your experiences and insights.

Cheers.

Hey Disco King,

For Misool if you would like to keep within budget, I would recommend going with Live-a-board, because 1. it's far from Sorong. 2. it's a big area. There are a few homestays there but, it's hard to coordinate with them to get diving arranged. This guy is a good dive guide to get more info: Abdul Muthalib - Raja Ampat tour leader and dive guide for Misool

For the 3 additional day land base, I would recommend HamuEco, because their equipment are brand new, and they have regular trips from their resort with good licensed dive masters.

In regards to airline, you are better off booking the ticket from the US to Singapore or JKT using http://kiwi.com and then JKT to Sorong using https://www.traveloka.com

Cheers,
Sea Warden

I have had great experiences with Nusatrip if you are considering booking your onward travel to Sorong with them. I have dealt with them during cancellations, outside-of-booking-pre-paid-baggage-addons, etc. Their customer service is good and I have used them many times.

Everybody on this thread likes Amira. Thanks for the reco!. Will definately keep it on my list. The listed price is beyond my price range. I hope to find promotion or last minute offer.

Here's one: Raja Ampat 14-25 Jan 2020 with Amira $837 off

I can check with Gabrielle about the availability if you are interested. This trip will be my 8th time in Raja Ampat.

I have had great experiences with Nusatrip if you are considering booking your onward travel to Sorong with them. I have dealt with them during cancellations, outside-of-booking-pre-paid-baggage-addons, etc. Their customer service is good and I have used them many times.

+1 with Nusa trip.com. I booked my last domestic flight through them for the Ring of Fire trip 2 months ago.

Real Time Blue Manta Review: Banda Sea 9 – 19 Sept 2019

Hey Disco King,

For Misool if you would like to keep within budget, I would recommend going with Live-a-board, because 1. it's far from Sorong. 2. it's a big area. There are a few homestays there but, it's hard to coordinate with them to get diving arranged. This guy is a good dive guide to get more info: Abdul Muthalib - Raja Ampat tour leader and dive guide for Misool

For the 3 additional day land base, I would recommend HamuEco, because their equipment are brand new, and they have regular trips from their resort with good licensed dive masters.

In regards to airline, you are better off booking the ticket from the US to Singapore or JKT using http://kiwi.com and then JKT to Sorong using https://www.traveloka.com

Cheers,
Sea Warden
Thank you for all the info. Very helpful! I conclude that liveaboard is easier. Thanks for your reco for HamuEco. I will look into it. I was considering Kri (based on distance to dive sites and a reputable dive operator I found). How diving/staying in Waisai different from Kri? Maybe Waisai is easy access since there is a port? I am curious to know which one is more scenic and easier to get to dive sites including Melissa's Garden (I heard good things about it).

Thank you for all the info. Very helpful! I conclude that liveaboard is easier. Thanks for your reco for HamuEco. I will look into it. I was considering Kri (based on distance to dive sites and a reputable dive operator I found). How diving/staying in Waisai different from Kri? Maybe Waisai is easy access since there is a port? I am curious to know which one is more scenic and easier to get to dive sites including Melissa's Garden (I heard good things about it).

The big one in Kri is Papua Explorer operated by Max, he was the first resort that started in Raja Ampat.

Waisai, you will have access to roads, so you can hire a motorcycle to get to other places, but Kri you will be limited to transport by boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom