Raja Ampat or the Solomons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handa9000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm wondering how the Solomon Islands compare to Raja Ampat? Has anyone dived both? Just curious how you felt they stacked up. Thanks.

Going to the Solomon's next month so I can give you a report. I think my answer will be Raja due to the diversity of diving there but I will let you know for sure.

FYI I did just get back from Kimbe Bay, Witu and Father's Reef in PNG and I have been told Solomon is similar to what we dove. It was great diving, but I would pick Raja over that area of PNG.

Last edited:
This is a great decision to have to make....

It has been ten+ years since I was in the Solomons, but it is fantastic diving.
It has been a year since I was in R4, but it is fantastic diving.

The diversity of R4 is second to none...so many fish.
The WWII aspects of the Solomons add an element not found in R4.

I found the Solomons much more shark-y than R4.
I found R4 much more manta-y than the Solomons.

When I went to the Solomons I had 14 high school kids in tow and it was my first visit to this part of the world. I thought remote places like Saba in the Caribbean were as good as it gets. Needless to say my mind was pretty much blown. I need to get back to the Solomons and dive it on my own terms, but getting there from Jakarta is a PITA, and expensive, and I can be in Sorong in just a few hours...

Good luck in your decision. Good news is you cannot choose wrong.

Last edited:
Looking forward to what you have to say about the Solomons Diana. I have the Bilikiki booked for May of 2019 and then of course we do the Socorros in November of 2019. That should be a good year!

You bet @BDSC ....Matt is right on when describing the 2 locals. PNG was very sharky compared to Indo. We had pregnant females and babies with white tips, black tips, silver tips and grey reefs on almost every dive. Husband did say he missed the mantas of Indo though. The water temps were quite high at 88-89 degrees (31c) so they said we didn't have the large schools of jacks and barracudas, but we did see a couple large schools of barracuda towards the end of the trip. We did see a lot of bleaching and I know the Solomon's are also experiencing similar water temps so I hope the water temps go down soon so the reefs can recover quickly.

In R4 I would see 10 + sharks on most dives two years ago.
SI seems much more expensive to dive, are there budget options when you are on the ground ?

Back
Top Bottom