RAM Mounts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hector1959

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I am new to UW Photography. After "playing" with an action camera for a few months I stepped up to a CANON G7X + Fantasea Housing. So far I have made 5 or 6 dives using its internal flash. In my learning curve, before going for strobes, my next step it's buying a tray and arms to shoot with my video lights ( 1000 & 450 lumens).
My question:
Is there any experience using 1" ball Ram mounts (composite or aluminium) to set up a photo rig?
Regards

Hector

Thanks for your reply.
I understand the suggestion, but RAM balls being all rubber (not just rubber o-rings) I think they would have enough friction. My main concern it' s first, if they can stand to seawater, and second, if they are easilly adjustable underwater.
regards

Thanks for your reply.
I understand the suggestion, but RAM balls being all rubber (not just rubber o-rings) I think they would have enough friction. My main concern it' s first, if they can stand to seawater, and second, if they are easilly adjustable underwater.
regards
I did not realize the ball was rubber. I would be concerned, but have no facts...
- is the ball "hard enough" to provide a stable clamping surface?
- how long will the ball last?

Ball orings break down and need to be changed. I have not seen a definite rule of thumb, but around 5 or 6 years is what I have experienced.

I did not realize the ball was rubber. I would be concerned, but have no facts...
- is the ball "hard enough" to provide a stable clamping surface?
- how long will the ball last?

Ball orings break down and need to be changed. I have not seen a definite rule of thumb, but around 5 or 6 years is what I have experienced.
Never used a ram mount underwater but use them to mount a gps on my motorcycle for the last 5 years. So, yes they provide a stable connection. They lasted 15 years so far ......

I asked RAM Mounts themselves and their answer was:

Thank you for reaching out. All of our parts are made from marine grade aluminum or a high strength composite. They could definitely be used for an underwater application. I would just recommend avoiding any suction cup or adhesive mount but a clamp mount of drill down would be an excellent choice.
---
I ask them a new question:
.......I note that both marine grade aluminum or composite are resistant to seawater, but what about springs, nuts and bolts that might be present in these mounts?

Their reply was:

... our hardware is always made from high-grade materials. Usually, stainless steel and often zinc coated. They will most likely wear out at least a little faster than usual being used under water but everything is under a life time warranty and will be replaced if they stop working correctly for any reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom