Ramp help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to design and install a ramp that can be used for both Divers with disabilities and those without. My question is, how deep should the ramp go into the water? It will run from the bank of the lake, next to the dock.

ramps are very difficult especially in lakes since they will get slimy so it may be more dangerous to have an inclined ramp than not, especially for those walking.... What is likely the best solution though not the least expensive is to put a dock out into the lake where the depth is 10-15ft. Gives people a ladder for exit, and gates to simulate a boat. Puts benches on there for them to sit and wait, and ability to make a free descent as well as a good place to conduct a safety stop.

The expensive bit aside from the gate is for disabled divers if they can't make a giant stride/front roll entry, you'd have to put a lift on there.

I just don't want to see you get into an issue where someone slips on an inclined ramp because it got slippery due to algae growth

I am a volunteer with the Monterey Bay Veterans working on their Lift to Freedom Project. The lift is essentially an oversized swim step/platform that moves hydraulically between deck level and 4' underwater if that helps. It is designed for ambulatory and non-ambulatory divers.

There are disabilities that limit the amount of weight that can be on the shoulders or spine. Experimentally in a pool we settled on 4' as a compromise for taller divers who would have to squat a little to relieve weight before getting in one of the fixed chairs and shorter divers who want to stand on the submerged platform handling equipment up to crewman. As it turns out, -4' is pretty typical of the diver lifts that are fairly common in the UK. It is a nice “swim-off” depth for any diver. Attached are photos and computer renderings. I don't have any photos of it fully extended.

Can you describe the ramp you have in mind?

Attachments

• L2F Test Divers.jpg
    L2F Test Divers.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 45
  • freedomportsternSea.jpg
    freedomportsternSea.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DDP Up - Fwd Source.jpg
    DDP Up - Fwd Source.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DDP Down -Source.jpg
    DDP Down -Source.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DDP Up - Aft Source.jpg
    DDP Up - Aft Source.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 41
Nothing special, more of a way to get divers in and out until money for a lift etc can be purchased. The ramp would go from 1 foot above the water and extend to whatever depth.

I wouldn't risk it. Way too risky. Better to invest in a proper dock now and work with the divers to get them into the water safely from the dock. A ramp is VERY VERY risky, especially for those that have mobility issues. You won't have the friction for wheelchairs or walkers to be stable and allow them to not slide down the ramp. Same with regular divers, get someone like me *280lbs, though solid*, with heavy doubles *about 150lbs of total gear with 104's etc*, and you won't be able to provide solid enough traction to keep the feet stable and regardless of railings or what not it won't work.

The dock in the quarry we have does have a "ramp", but it starts from about 1' below the water level and allows divers to walk on a flat surface out into deeper water so they can sit and then slide in from there. It is VERY slick and many divers have slipped when trying to stand up on it. An inclined ramp would be that much more dangerous.

Ok... What about like a tiered setup? Start at bank level, have a small step down to a flat, then another step to a flat. Like big stairs with each flat being like three feet. This would cut down on the slope but could still make it easier on a diver with challenges.

I don't think it will be any easier than having a diver assist with moving them to the gate for a giant stride entry. All depends on the type of disabilities you are dealing with though.

2.jpg5.jpg6.jpgHere are a few views of the entry dock. I want to put an improved access in the area on the left of the dock (where you see the ladder). It is a shallow water area that goes from 6" down to about 6-7 feet at the end of the dock. I'm limited on doing anything to the dock itself since it can be used by boats when no divers are in the area.

yeah you really need to define your disability list.... Can the dock be modified as far as putting an entry gate on either the ends so the divers can actually stand and have something to support them? Give a 2-3ft wide gap then a glorified post to allow them to hold on for standing entries?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom