Ranger dumping issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmrangel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, this is also cross posed in the BCD Section but did not get much response so I am posting here. Mods, pls feel free to delete one if needed.

I know the Ranger is a pretty popular BCD and is the one I currently have. One issue I have been having is that it seems to dump air through the inflator poorly. I feel as though I need to be past vertical, tilting pretty far back, to get it to dump well. Anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if it is characteristic of this BCD or just my unit.

I am evaluating other options (and yes, a BPW is one of them before everyone jumps in. I have read the threads so I understand the recommendations). One of the other options is the bagless zeagle bladder that is an option for the Stiletto. I am wondering if that would dump any better.

It has always done this but seems to have gotten worse since I have lost weight. I may also need to reduce the size of the shoulder panel.

No issues dumping my ranger...on the local buy and sell.
They have a great rep and resale value!
Try a harness and then decide.

It seems like pulling the corrugated hose to activate the pull dump may work better then elevating the inflator and using the button

That depends on how you are positioning yourself and positioning the inflation hose when you are trying to dump. That's one issue. The other issue is if there is a practical difference between the flow of the 2 different dump systems. It's unlikely but not impossible you have some obstruction in the hand dump.

You seem to be a newer diver. How do you know it's not dumping properly? Compared to what?

fmerkel,
Fairly new, 45 dives, AOW, etc. So, could be technique ... I believe it is not dumping properly because I have held it overhead while vertical and dumped it until it stopped at my safety stop and had a hard time holding the stop. When I looked at it back on the boat, I could tell it still had a significant amount of air in the bladder. On the next dive, did the same thing but this time, after it stopped venting, I leaned back at about 45 degrees past vertical and tried again. I got it to dump a pretty good burp when leaned that far back. This is also the 2nd BCD I have had, I had a oceanic probe that I used for about the first 25 dives and I never had to go thru this. I did not even need to be vertical to empty it completely. Any more than about 45 degrees heads up and I could dump it. It was a loaner and I eventually bought the ranger.

While I have not tested it specifically, it does seem like if I use the pull dump, I get a more effective venting.

I had a Concept, kind of a Ranger-light. The wing is a horseshoe and kind of floppy. It can trap air under some circumstances. My wife had one also and griped about it sometimes.
The Ranger has a lot of lift so the bladder is kind of overlarge IMO for rec. diving.

I have about 50 dives in a Ranger so not a ton but I use the butt dumps mostly. You should be horizontal in the water and then they work effortlessly.

I was issued the 911 which is even bigger than the Ranger, 65 lbs lift and double buckle front closure. I had a few issues with descending early on. Some of it was trapped air in the bladder and some of it was trapped air in the back padding that eventually squeezes out. If you haven't tried the hose pull dump yet, give it a shot. Practice getting your body in the right position for each of the four dumps so it will become automatic for you. I haven't had any issues stopping at 15'.

Does the Ranger have buckles to keep the wings tucked in? If so, make sure they are buckled or you won't be able to reach the butt dumps unless the bladder is a lot smaller than the 911.

I had the same problems with the 911 initially. I have to 'ruffle' the bladder a little while being upright in the water in order to get trapped air up. Also leaning slightly to the right while dumping air in addition to leaning backwards helped.

Cheers, Peter

Back
Top Bottom