[rant] DIR vs. DID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckchick

Scubavangelist
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've read these forums for a while, and much of what I've found here has been very interesting/infomative/amusing, but there is one thing that has consistently bothered me. The terminology associated with the DIR methodology. Why is it that we have all accepted that DIR is doing Doing it Right, and by default everyone else is doing it Wrong?

I have heard everything from calling people that vary from the standard "strokes", to calling jacket BC's "poodle jackets", to the fervor of the converted trying to talk the most innocent of newbies into a philosophy that they (me) can't possibly even grasp.

I've heard people ask about it and what it entails and they've been told to "buy the book" or "take a class". Why? Why would I, or anyone else, toss away good gear and leap in with both feet to something that I only vaguely understand and defies much of what I've gotten used to?

I don't think I do it wrong, I Do it Differently, and not only that, I don't think you DIR folk Do it Right, you Do it Differently also. The nomenclature offends me and the no-so-subliminal message is that you have the knowledge about how it all SHOULD be done, the rest of us are just muddling along in our little hazy world pretending we know how to dive when, clearly, we have no clue.

What's wrong with wearing a rig I'm comfortable with and going and diving for the fun of it and trying to become a better, more competent diver every time I get in the water? I don't for a minute think that I'm doing it wrong. Can't we call the whole methodological approach something else to leave room for the massive variation in how people dive?

[/rant]

Rachel

biscuit7 once bubbled...
the most innocent of newbies into a philosophy that they (me) can't possibly even grasp.

The nomenclature offends me and the no-so-subliminal message is that you have the knowledge about how it all SHOULD be done, the rest of us are just muddling along in our little hazy world pretending we know how to dive when, clearly, we have no clue.
I whole heartedly agree.

You as an innocent newbie who cannot even possibly grasp the *philosophy* should not be made to feel like you are just muddling along in your little hazy world pretending to know how to dive.

And I understand your angst.

Personally, I try to refrain from hammering folks with DIR... and you are right... there does exist an unrealistic elitist attitude with some folks... especially the newly DIRf'd.

Still there is a lot to learn... so eat the corn and spit out the cob.

biscuit7 wrote...
I have heard everything from calling people that vary from the standard "strokes", to calling jacket BC's "poodle jackets"
I'd use a more appropriate term for the jacket BCs, but then the moderators would have to step in.

:eek:

And, no, I'm not DIR.

This should get some action. LOL

biscuit7 once bubbled...
I've read these forums for a while, and much of what I've found here has been very interesting/infomative/amusing, but there is one thing that has consistently bothered me. The terminology associated with the DIR methodology. Why is it that we have all accepted that DIR is doing Doing it Right, and by default everyone else is doing it Wrong?

I don't accept that at all. There are many worth while things about the system and the "phtlosophy" but I don't believe ther is one solution that fits all problems. I know good experienced divers that are strict DIR and I know good experienced divers (even explorers) that think it's a total joke. The people that claim that only DIR folks can dive well just don't get out enough or their trying to sell something, IMO. There is another possibility but I'll give them the benifit of the doubt in this thread.
I have heard everything from calling people that vary from the standard "strokes", to calling jacket BC's "poodle jackets", to the fervor of the converted trying to talk the most innocent of newbies into a philosophy that they (me) can't possibly even grasp.

I sometimes call jackets poodle jackets because I don't like them. Especially when significant exposure protection is required they can meke you really work to get trimmed. I also think a harness lends itself to more streamlined functional way of storing accessories like lights.
I've heard people ask about it and what it entails and they've been told to "buy the book" or "take a class". Why? Why would I, or anyone else, toss away good gear and leap in with both feet to something that I only vaguely understand and defies much of what I've gotten used to?

There are some who push it but when pushed give you a web site URL for an answer. Some of these don't know anything and some may be uncomfortable answering the question for whatever reason. If you are interested in it reading the book is a good start though.
I don't think I do it wrong, I Do it Differently, and not only that, I don't think you DIR folk Do it Right, you Do it Differently also. The nomenclature offends me and the no-so-subliminal message is that you have the knowledge about how it all SHOULD be done, the rest of us are just muddling along in our little hazy world pretending we know how to dive when, clearly, we have no clue.

What's wrong with wearing a rig I'm comfortable with and going and diving for the fun of it and trying to become a better, more competent diver every time I get in the water? I don't for a minute think that I'm doing it wrong. Can't we call the whole methodological approach something else to leave room for the massive variation in how people dive?

[/rant]

Rachel

You need to decide for yourself what is right and what works for you. However, do you really know what gear is comfortable for you? Many don't. I have had many students that are happy with their equipment until I insist the get horizontal and maintain position in the water. In the process of learning the skills they often find they're not as comfortable as they thought.

DIR is a package. they say if you remove any part it isn't DIR. I'm not interested in the packege but I reserve the right to steal and use what I want. If you are interested in it I think you should read the book. Also, there are those who do know what the're talking about who can answer questions. As in anything else though you need to consider the source of the information.

Don't let some of the talk turn you against it. It may not be for everyone but I like it. There are some who pound everyone with DIR but you will find that like anything else there are extremist.

The reason that many tell others to buy the book is that it explains many of the thoughts of how or why thinks are done the way they are.

No one is recommending you ditch all your gear and totally buy into it but wait until you talk to some people who aren't quite so passonate before you write off DIR.

As for the name, I don't see it as any worst or better than the brand of gear called Dive Rite, which I guess could lead one to believe that unless they use that gear they are diving Rong (misspelled for humor, weak I know.)

The above does not imply that you are wrong if you don't like it but don't let internet posts make your mind up for you. You will find that some of the GUE folks aren't out hammering people like some internet posters are.

Chad

ckharlan66 once bubbled...

No one is recommending you ditch all your gear and totally buy into it but wait until you talk to some people who aren't quite so passonate before you write off DIR.

Someone should let SeaJay in on this little secret

...as someone who has just recently begun to adopt some of the tenets of the DIR philosophy, I can't really offer you any "sound" advice. My main reason for the interest was my desire to do technical diving in the future.

Heck, the book is only 20 bucks. I think if you're really interested one way or the other it's worth the purchase.

If you noticed the "poodle jackets" joke from the Florida forum, it was meant to be just that...a joke. My apologies if you were offended. MHK is a good person to get DIR info from. Plenty of his posts helped me out.

Good luck! :wink:

Honestly, the biggest turn-off to me is the way that it's approached from the very top of the ladder. Even if I ever take on the approach, which I'm NOT writing off, I would never call myself DIR. I think it's elitist and demeaning to all the excellent divers out there that haven't bought into it.

After a minor fin incident in the pool yesterday, I considered that spring straps wouldn't be such a bad idea <gasp>, but that's still just DIHIMSTM (doing it how it makes sense to me). The reality is that's all DIR is to anyone that follows the system, I can hope, otherwise the lemming analogy applies.

R

biscuit7 once bubbled...
Honestly, the biggest turn-off to me is the way that it's approached from the very top of the ladder. Even if I ever take on the approach, which I'm NOT writing off, I would never call myself DIR. I think it's elitist and demeaning to all the excellent divers out there that haven't bought into it.

After a minor fin incident in the pool yesterday, I considered that spring straps wouldn't be such a bad idea <gasp>, but that's still just DIHIMSTM (doing it how it makes sense to me). The reality is that's all DIR is to anyone that follows the system, I can hope, otherwise the lemming analogy applies.

R

Do it however you like. You don't need to justify yourself.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Someone should let SeaJay in on this little secret

I should have said I am not. Others might be.

I am happy to share why I like my equipment but anyone is free to disagree and I won't argue with them.....well I will argue with JBD but he is the only one. :D

I should also state that I am no where near qualified to spout about DIR but I do like the system and I am constantly trying to learn more about it.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom