Rappahannock quarry map

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmeenehan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know about any maps that exist of the Fredericksburg (Rappahannock West?) quarry?

Surely some divemaster candidate has done a map there...

If you can send me some info about acess, I wouldnt mind diving there and doing up a current map.

Scott

I did. They don't have a map.
btw - the Virginia Outdoor Center manages access to the quarry.

you still looking for a map? I know that Ralph said he had one about a month ago, but could not find it readily when we were there.

Yes.
I heard that the nearest boat (closest to the entry beach) had been moved as part of a training exercise.

I will get you what I have. I was there in July, and as I recall, the closest boat to the entry was right by the platforms. I am not sure it will tell you if it has moved or not, unless it was a significant move! The map that we created has the GPS headings from directly above the object, depth and heading to next / closest point either following the underwater ropes or towards the surface buoys at the item. It's on the hubster's computer, and he is out of town, so when he gets it to me, I will get it to you. the board will not let me post links yet since I am new to the boards, so I will PM you a very - emphasis on very - rough draft until I can get you a more complete one!

Yes, the Prince William and Stafford county sheriffs dept moved it. They are not supposed to do that, but they have the attitude that they don't really care and they told me that we are lucky that they put it back as close as they did. Some people seem to forget that we are guests at that Quarry and it is a privilege to use it for public safety training. Not that it is a huge deal, but any maps that may be out there are now incorrect, it makes instructors look stupid when they take students to find a boat that is not there and it was a good place for safety stops for an open water class. Hopefully people like this don't wear out the welcome for other public safety teams and even open water classes.

Back
Top Bottom