Rappahannock Quarry ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw in the latest Scouting Digest (local newletter for Boy Scout Leaders) indicated that the scuba class held their openwater dives at Rappahannock Quarry. Does anyone know anything about this quarry? Is it open to any diver? If it is, it might be an alternative to Millbrook.

I have been there before, The SCUBA Shack uses it for training. I am not sure where the boyscouts are coming from but I have seen them there as well. It is not open to the public.

I saw in the latest Scouting Digest (local newletter for Boy Scout Leaders) indicated that the scuba class held their openwater dives at Rappahannock Quarry. Does anyone know anything about this quarry? Is it open to any diver? If it is, it might be an alternative to Millbrook.

Sorry about the long belated reply.

Access to the quarry for divers is managed by the Virginia Outdoor Center, the canoe outfitters just down the road from the quarry. There are 2 platforms, boats, bus, car, and a van to see. Last year the admission was $15. You'd have to contact VOC since there is a locked gate that controls access (about a mile up the hill from the quarry).

I like it better than Millbrook due to viz (not the same since the zebra mussels were eliminated) & teaching environment. I hope to use it again this summer for the scout scuba (merit badge) class.

I called the VOC to get information about diving the Fredericksburg Quarry and they forwarded me to the Scuba Shack. The VOC does not appear to manage access.

I then called the Scuba Shack and spoke with the owner (who happens to be a very nice guy) and he explained to me that they use the quarry for training dives and that while they are holding classes there, certified divers can join them in the water for $15 a day. If you want to dive in the quarry while the classes are being held, you whould meet at the Scuba Shack at 7:30 on the 4th weekend of the month.

I would call ahead and confirm schedule before just showing up.

By the way, I was infomred that the quarry was fairly small and only about 40' deep.

Bruce

Sorry about the long belated reply.

Access to the quarry for divers is managed by the Virginia Outdoor Center, the canoe outfitters just down the road from the quarry. There are 2 platforms, boats, bus, car, and a van to see. Last year the admission was $15. You'd have to contact VOC since there is a locked gate that controls access (about a mile up the hill from the quarry).

I like it better than Millbrook due to viz (not the same since the zebra mussels were eliminated) & teaching environment. I hope to use it again this summer for the scout scuba (merit badge) class.

The VOC does not appear to manage access.

It sounds like you may have found out that VOC manages dive shop access to the quarry and directs individual divers to link up with a dive shop if they want to use the quarry.

VOC is the controlling entity (as I understand) and Ralph Clark (Owner & NICE Guy) of Scuba Shack can provide access to the locked gate of this Quarry. We used it several weeks ago for a Rebreather class and it was my first visit there. It is fairly small, and as previosuly stated ~40 ft deep. Visibility was fair but definitely darker, and cooler that Lake Rawlings. I've never been to Millbrook so I can't compare. We did see a couple of fairly large size fresh water eels! I was suprised!

If you are anywhere in the area, I sugest swinging by and meeting Ralph Clark at Scuba Shack - he is quite an interesting character!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom