Rare primitive shark captured on film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peeing wouldn't be the issue here. I think the reaction would be a bit more solid. :D

Gary D.

I would think I was on my way out and the Leviathan was coming to get me...:11:

Nightmares....all night....Please somebody show a picture of a pretty little clownfish....

Id probably go "holy heck, this is it, im dead!" and when I came up Id feel invincible after gettin away from it :p

Really tho, Id think Id freak out a bit.. that thing aint exactly "pretty"..

Anyone notice that it died a few hours after being caught? So much for appreciating the beauty (or ugliness in this case) of the ocean.

Why does everything have to be caught? Just leave it alone and maybe this rare creature will continue to be rare and not extinct! :shakehead

Divmstr223:
Anyone notice that it died a few hours after being caught? So much for appreciating the beauty (or ugliness in this case) of the ocean.

Why does everything have to be caught? Just leave it alone and maybe this rare creature will continue to be rare and not extinct! :shakehead

Can't really say that the shark died because it was caught. It might have been sick like the article says...it's not like it would normally dwell in those shallow waters where it was seen. Plus being in that shallow water may have screw it up somehow, eventually leading to its demise.

Yeah, I'd probably pee in my wetsuit too. Those are some gnarly looking gills.

Divmstr223:

It was probably caught because it was already ailing, otherwise it wouldn't have been shallow enough to be caught.

Does anyone know how rare this shark is? Rarely seen is not the same as nearly extinct if it is somewhere where it is almost never caught.

Very cool looking animal!

vondo:
It was probably caught because it was already ailing, otherwise it wouldn't have been shallow enough to be caught.

Does anyone know how rare this shark is? Rarely seen is not the same as nearly extinct if it is somewhere where it is almost never caught.

Very cool looking animal!

I did a search, but I don't think it's well known. I imagine it would be real hard to guess its population since it's so inaccessible. It looks like they're sometimes bycatch by trawlers according to the article, just not alive most of the time. If someone can figure out how many are caught from time to time we might have a rough estimate, but other than that it would probably be hard to tell. I'd guess they're just uncommon, not 'nearly extinct.'

Back
Top Bottom