Rare Shark tooth Fossils discovered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, that's an amazing find! I can imagine there are many under-explored beaches in OZ. So much remote coastline that rarely gets a look.

I've only been to Sydney. A beautiful part of OZ. But would have enjoyed the Gold Coast and Great Barrier reef.

If diving there it's prudent to know which beaches are inhabited by stingers. And wear an appropriate protective layer. I've been stung by small Portuguese Man-o-War. At Bellows beach on Oahu. Rubbed sand on the stung areas of my back.

But shock and heart failure often follow stings by Box Jellies in OZ.

Full disclosure: I am one of the resident experts on neurotoxic animals. As well as animals with other toxins, hence the "Neurotoxic enthusiast" monicker. You wouldn't want to see what I have in my living room Chilly. :wink:

Last edited:
One of my earliest exposures to shark teeth was when I was going to FSU and was a member of the caving club there. One common trip to take was to a cave in Clymax Ga. After a couple of hour crawl south from the entrance, you come to a place called "Shark Tooth Passage", where there's about 3" of what appears to be a similar tooth sticking out of the ceiling.

Well, hell, found a picture of it on this page: Flickriver: Photoset 'Caves, Georgia' by Alan Cressler.

direct link:Carcharocles auriculatus tooth, Eocene age, Ocala Limestone, south portion, Climax Cave, Decatur County, Georgia 2

wow. Brings back memories: Climax Cave, Grady County, Georgia 1

Yeah, that's an amazing find! I can imagine there are many under-explored beaches in OZ. So much remote coastline that rarely gets a look.

I've only been to Sydney. A beautiful part of OZ. But would have enjoyed the Gold Coast and Great Barrier reef.

If diving there it's prudent to know which beaches are inhabited by stingers. And wear an appropriate protective layer. I've been stung by small Portuguese Man-o-War. At Bellows beach on Oahu. Rubbed sand on the stung areas of my back.

But shock and heart failure often follow stings by Box Jellies in OZ.

Full disclosure: I am one of the resident experts on neurotoxic animals. As well as animals with other toxins, hence the "Neurotoxic enthusiast" monicker. You wouldn't want to see what I have in my living room Chilly. :wink:
Actually, now you have to show us what's growing in your living room!

Nice! I have a large Mako shark tooth on a pendant that I wear. I'll be looking for more in the Philippines.

There are lots of those teeth off NC on certain ledges. Depth about 100 ft. My favorite find was the tooth of a pigmy whale.

Ruby when she was 2 foot long. Now she's 6 feet long. :)

I used to train zookeepers to handle venomous reptiles on a contract basis.

212wb44.jpg

2608rxk.jpg

vihc7c.jpg

Actually, now you have to show us what's growing in your living room!

Ack!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom