Rarotonga & Aitutaki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To carry this thread on a bit.-Ive been back to Raro another couple of times since last posting.
Given that the audience here aren't generally novice divers I just have to say that on Rarotonga therereally are two types of dive op's
Pacific divers do run a good operation but despite what they might say they go to the same couple of dive sites day after day. you can only look at a broken up wreck so many times.-Last trip I did three dives with them all to the same spot despite what I was told.
Cook island divers on the other hand (weather dependant) are ready and willing to take you to the less explored places where theres generally a heck of a lot more to see. Nga and Ian are also really good at assessing your ACTUAL skill level and taylor to it
For the record ALL the dive ops usually go out from Avarua harbour so location isn;t an advantage.

My experience at Rarotonga was somewhat similar to yours. Glad you chose Muri Beach rather than Edgewater. I stayed both. My iniyial reaction to the divi g was disappointment, however, as the days of diving progressed, I came to very much enjoy it. Sharks up close and personal on most every dive, large schools of barracuda, fabulous viz and amazing/enchanting formations. It was really suffering from the scurge of Crown of Thorns at the time. Mushroom was also one of my favorite sites. The island itself was magically beautiful.

I'm glad I went and would possibly have returned if it weren't such a long wearying trip from here. For that kind of flight I might just as well go to Fiji or Philippines.

Back
Top Bottom