• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Rash Guard Long sleeve or short sleeve?

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by twofor2, Jun 26, 2019.

1. twofor2

twofor2 Angel Fish

I will be traveling to Florida in July and I plan on doing some reef dives. I hear the water is supposed to get up to mid 80s and im generally pretty good with the cold. "usually fine with a 7mm down to mid 40s" I was wondering if there is a big difference between the long sleeve or short sleeve rash guard or is it just preference at the end of the day. Thanks. OR would it even be crazy to wear no rash guard? But I do worry about my wing setup causing chaffing on bare skin

2. tkaelin

tkaelin Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Normally I use a long sleeve just for the sun protection and to reduce areas I have to apply sunscreen.

caruso, ps444mike, FezUSA and 6 others like this.
  3. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Also protects from any little stingers.

4. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    A rash guard is relatively meaningless as far as providing warmth and insulation on a dive. It is all about the various skin protection(s) already mentioned. And then during surface intervals you may find you want to remove it or cover it up, rather than holding an extra layer of evaporating water on your torso chilling you down. (unless it dries really fast)

FezUSA and chillyinCanada like this.
  5. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    I won't use rash guard as thermal protection under water.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  6. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

On the surface, I'm generally cold in a wet rash guard or hot in a dry one, lol

7. NAUI Wowie

NAUI Wowie Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99

if you are doing wreck penetrations please use a full 3 mil. get one thats uber flexible like the cheaper but good henderson brand. get the 250% flexible not the older 75%

does everything a longsleeve rashguard does including whole legs not just arm protection and itll prevent any cuts and bleeding in the water. You wont over heat even if you run hot. take it off at surface. you can always unzip it halfway down the back to get full water flow

8. Divectionist

Divectionist Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Instead of a useless rash guard I would recommend something with a bit of thermal capacity. It will enable you to always layer up or down as required.

I use a long sleeve sharkskin underneath when it gets colder.

Esprise Me and chillyinCanada like this.
  9. tep

tep ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    In warm water (80F) I prefer a long sleeved rash guard as sun protection, for snorkeling and (some) diving. Otherwise especially if multiple dives over multiple days, go for the 3mm or even 5mm.

10. Zef

Zef Divemaster

Don't buy a diving specific rash guard...go to tj-max or marshalls and look in their sportswear section for a lycra top that you can use as a rash guard...usually much less expensive.

-Z

FezUSA and chillyinCanada like this.