Ratio of Johnsons baby shampoo and water for

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if the amount of oil on one's skin has an effect? Do people with oilier skin find their masks fog more than people with drier skin?

Strangely I have found it is also good to use the shampoo on the outside as well as the inside of the glass. Main thing it is doing is cleaning the glass.

There are many variables in mask cleaning. If spit works for you, (It hasn't for me since I quit drinking beer. (??) ) great. Otherwise baby shampoo is a cheap, effective alternative.
A fogged up mask is a really good way to ruin a great dive.

This an interesting discussion. I am sure there have been actual studies done looking at the physics of glass fogging. Anything seems to work on my mask to prevent fogging as long as I buff it with something once every few months. I found the prior thread on mask preparation and different experiments very stimulating :).
I used to use anti fog gels and then something PSI anti fog and baby shampoo and all seem to work just as well as long the mask was “buffed” . 100% baby shampoo worked ok too but I did not like the film it was leaving behind ( I thought it was worse then a fog) and it actually was stinging my eyes ( J&J no tears no sting baby shampoo, I guess I am super sensitive...) and I felt like when I rinsed it out well, the sting went away but defeated the purpose of it being very concentrated. Also on the last trip, I used super diluted shampoo (so thin and barely could see it soaping) because that is what they had and it also worked well...
if I were to choose one, I guess, spit works the best for me :)

Strangely I have found it is also good to use the shampoo on the outside as well as the inside of the glass. Main thing it is doing is cleaning the glass.

Applying defog to the outside of your mask does nothing in the water. If you have your mask on long enough while out of the water I guess it would help keep the outside from fogging.

The reason companies and dive shops tell you to apply it to the outside of the mask is so you'll use twice as much and have to buy it twice as often.

Applying defog to the outside of your mask does nothing in the water. If you have your mask on long enough while out of the water I guess it would help keep the outside from fogging.

The reason companies and dive shops tell you to apply it to the outside of the mask is so you'll use twice as much and have to buy it twice as often.

I have never been told anything by anyone about how to clean my mask and having clean glass on both sides improves my in-dive experience. I don't only clean the inside of my sunglasses either.

I have never been told anything by anyone about how to clean my mask and having clean glass on both sides improves my in-dive experience. I don't only clean the inside of my sunglasses either.
Talking about defog not cleaning. Of course, clean both sides of the lens but you only need to apply defog to the inside.

In my experience, cleaning with soap is better at defogging than defogger is.

could be that your soap leaves behind a film like johnsons & johnson

I can demonstrate that a true soap (which leaves behind no film) will immediately fog up

In fact I tried that a few days ago

applied shampoo to one half of the pane and cleaned the other with a strong soap

with a hot breath, the soap side fogged up only

Soap has a nasty habit of burning your eyes. Really not recommended for mask use.

Back
Top Bottom