RE: Cozumel diving during southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
. I just got back from a week of diving in Cozumel. There have been threads about whether or not people would want to go there while the southern reefs are closed to traffic. I wanted to say that in my opinion it is still very much worth going. Plenty to see without going south. I guess because this is considered low season, I didn’t see huge numbers of divers crowded into a few sites, so that shouldn’t stop you. The signs of coral disease were obvious and heartbreaking on the sites I dove, and I assume are even worse on the closed sites. However, the loss of coral seems to be the rule now no matter where we go. The best place to dive is in the past, but without the ability to time travel, Coz is still a great option.

Plenty to see now with moderate crowds. I’m here now but I wonder what it will be in a couple weeks and it gets busy. I definitely noticed more groups/boats in each area than previous Octobers.

I just got back from Coz too. It was more conjested on the open reefs for sure. More boat traffic too. Nobody knew when the closed reefs would reopen.

Agree the dive sites are very congested and this is the low season, we were ther last week October. The southern most allowed sites showed significant white band disease on the coral, very sad. Tough situation, closure of reefs probably necessary for some time, but is only a small factor when you consider the impact from the cruise ships and beech resorts. Radical action may be necessary, but would devastate the local economy. Hopefully will see rapid recovery over the winter

We dove Cozumel, Jamaica and the Grand Cayman island in August, they did not mention they were closing some areas. We had to wear a wrist band while diving. Are they planning on opening the closed areas back up or will they be closed indefinitely?

Our plan was to go back to Cozumel but if it is closed we will go the Grand Cayman again. It was beautiful.

Glenn

We dove Cozumel, Jamaica and the Grand Cayman island in August, they did not mention they were closing some areas. We had to wear a wrist band while diving. Are they planning on opening the closed areas back up or will they be closed indefinitely?

Our plan was to go back to Cozumel but if it is closed we will go the Grand Cayman again. It was beautiful.

Glenn
The band you wore was the Marine Park bracelet. If you were there on a cruise ship, you probably would not have dove the closed areas anyway - it is only a partial closure and the closed areas will reopen on December 15, 2019

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom