reaching the valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
OK ... so I finally get a suit that gives me adequate freedom of motion, and I STILL can't reach my valves.

Tried it with both singles and doubles ... and my arms just don't seem to want to bend that way.

Without the rig on, I can reach back and touch the small of my back. In singles I can reach my first stage easily, but when I "walk" my fingers over to the valve, the tendons in my shoulder feel like they're ready to pop. I can just barely manage to touch the valve, but not enough to grasp and turn it.

In doubles I can reach my manifold valve, but fuggedabout reaching either cylinder valve ... it ain't even close.

Friends who dive doubles tell me this is unusual. Are there some recommended stretching exercises out there for gaining "lateral" flexibility in my joints? Or perhaps there's some technique I'm missing out on?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
OK ... so I finally get a suit that gives me adequate freedom of motion, and I STILL can't reach my valves.

Tried it with both singles and doubles ... and my arms just don't seem to want to bend that way.

Without the rig on, I can reach back and touch the small of my back. In singles I can reach my first stage easily, but when I "walk" my fingers over to the valve, the tendons in my shoulder feel like they're ready to pop. I can just barely manage to touch the valve, but not enough to grasp and turn it.

In doubles I can reach my manifold valve, but fuggedabout reaching either cylinder valve ... it ain't even close.

Friends who dive doubles tell me this is unusual. Are there some recommended stretching exercises out there for gaining "lateral" flexibility in my joints? Or perhaps there's some technique I'm missing out on?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What helped me the most was when someone here on SB told me that I can reach back further by keeping my elbow tucked in, and not sort of "chicken winging" my way back.

For me, I found that when I keep my elbow pointing forward I I can reach back further.

I do the classic tricep stretch - right arm back (elbow forward) and and grab my right elbow wif my left hand and push it back. That has extended my range of motion. On a stiff day, that also helps me reach back and get to the valve.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
What helped me the most was when someone here on SB told me that I can reach back further by keeping my elbow tucked in, and not sort of "chicken winging" my way back.

For me, I found that when I keep my elbow pointing forward I I can reach back further.

I do the classic tricep stretch - right arm back (elbow forward) and and grab my right elbow wif my left hand and push it back. That has extended my range of motion. On a stiff day, that also helps me reach back and get to the valve.

---
Ken

I agree with this and take it a step further. Rather than push back on the elbow with my other hand, i'll stand in a doorway, have my elbow sticking out just enough so i can lock in on the doorframe and lean forward with body weight. You get a much stronger stretch than when pushing with your hand.

Just go easy at first as with any good stretching.

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I had the same problem once, a famous cave diver told me my harness shoulder straps were to tight. I gave myself about 2 more inches of strap and it worked out fine. Some of the divers in my tech class had the same problem and the instructor advised them to go into a heads down position when they reach for the isolater and this works also because the tanks come to your hand instead of your hand going to the valve.

good luck and I hope you work it out. this is a vital skill

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, I have the same problem, though since I've been working on stretching, it's been improving. My flexibility is unfortunately asymmetrical - I can reach further with my right arm than left, but nonetheless, both still fall a bit short of being able to comfortably reach the valves and the isolator.

The doorframe stretching has helped, as Buddha mentions. I just stand with my back to the doorframe, bend my knees down a bit, reach back with both hands behind my head and grab the doorframe, and then slowly straighten my legs until I start to feel the stretch in my arms and go until I achieve the level of stretch that I want. Be sure not to overdo it as your legs are stronger than your arms.....

Gumby I am not, but I am working on it.

... and to all the other responders, thanks. Something else to work on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Bob,

I've been using the various stretches off of divefitness for the past few months. What I have noticed is greater mobility than I have ever had. Everbody has posted great methods for stretching out your shoulders and such. In no time you will be able to reach those valves. Keep on Stretching,

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom