Read please before wasting your money on Olympus products...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I would like to share with everyone my experience with Olympus USA. As some back ground, I own four Oly cameras and two Oly underwater cases. These will be my last Oly products. Too bad, I real liked the new 330 camera. So this is what has happened. My Oly 5060 had been in twice in the last year for repairs for a bent dial shaft. I paid more than Ebay prices for repairs but I got a 6 month extension on the warranty. When I sent it in, under warranty for it’s third repair, this time for a defective macro button, I was told flat out that I would be receiving a new camera as it was on it’s third repair and that was there policy. I mailed it in and a couple of weeks later, I received a notice that I was being charged for the repair. I called Oly and after fighting through there phone system I was told to call a different number and ask for a supervisor. I did but had to talk to Alfred first.. He verified everything I said and felt I was right, I was under warranty and should not have to pay again. Then he found he had no power to change this. I asked for a supervisor again and I got Mursla. This snotty little prick asked why I did not believe Alfred when he told me there was nothing that could be done? I persisted and was finally given a “top priority” complaint to Oly corporate and was told I would get a phone call in 7-10 business days! Two weeks pass with no phone call. I finally got a notice in the mail that said my balance was now zero. I returned the notice with shipping direction. Two weeks later I call them, today the 25th of July. Im told my camera is ready and scheduled to ship in the 2nd of August! The last guy tried to change the ship date but there was a computer problem and he couldn’t but assured me he would work on it and call me back. Guess what? Im not writing this letter for no reason. Im mad as hell! It’s now been seven weeks and my camera will not be shipped for another week, allegedly.
Just so you know Olympus USA, I have sent a copy of this to you and I will be posting on every web site I can find, I will strongly recommend against future Oly purchases for people seeking advice and will be looking at other brands that have real customer service and honor there warrantees.

Sincerely,
Brian Howard
Service order # 651767

WC,
bought the wife the oly stylus 400, it's been repaired twice and is a VERY poor Camera. She has the shakes, so I understand her blury shots, but it is the ONLY camera I have taken blury(out of focus for the PC people) shots with.
I just wish I could find a cheap UW housing for my sony F-717..........
or I might have to get a job so I can get the canon 20d..........job...........
cant believe I said that......

We have some stylus 500s and they are OK and my 5060 takes great pics, when it works....Now back to posting on more forums!

Been an Oly user for over 30 years, started with an OM1-MD SLR. Mine have taken beaucoup abuse over the decades.

I wasn't happy with my experience with Olympus customer service either. There is, however, an overwhelming amount of positive feedback on their customer service from others.

I haven't had any problems with my 2nd C5060(the first flooded) and I'm truly enjoying my E500 and the 4/3rd lenses I have for it. Truly a fine camera, I look forward to my future Olympus purchases.

I have defended Oly and their service in the past also, after this, never again!

Wildcard - Wish they had treated you better!

I hope everything shakes out and that you get your camera back in perfect condition...never to have to attempt their customer service again.

Customer service was a major factor in my deciding to go Canon vs Nikon (though not the only factor) when I added a dslr rig.

Wildcard - that's sounds bad. Hope you get your new camera quickly.
I haven't had bad customer service at least yet. I live in Finland and there's only a service point here. They don't do any major repairs here but mailed my camera to Portugal. My 8080 had a manufactured flaw as ccd had some stripes in it. Took the camera to service last thursday and they told me it'll take some 2 weeks to get fixed and as I had 4 days of warranty to go it was under warranty. We'll see how it turns out. As I bought my camera from the states (e-store) I'm a bit pessimistic about oly trying to hassle me in some way. The camera takes nice pics though.. if only I had some macro lenses.

I always have had good service from Nikon Service...
I have not had any problems with my many Nikons, and I usually buy parts for Nikonos repairs. The guys at California are great.
Matter of fact, through National Geographic and many nature and wildlife photographers around the world, Nikon has a better built quality in its line than Canon and are known to break less.:D Maybe thats why they must have a wider array of service centers:D

Todays update! I called yesterday and they asured me they would get my camera going and then call me. Guess what? No call! Called again today and after 35 minutes on hold I got the same moron as yesterday and he had no recollection of yesterday. Good news, my camera is fixed and they are shipping in next day air, in 7-10 business days. Gggrrrrrr. Never ever again.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom