Reading gauges on the trigger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alewar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there!

is there any trick to read the pressure gauges while scootering in the dark without moving your light too much?

Its pretty similar for me to how i do it while swimming along. I just reach back with my light to charge the glow in the dark portion before moving the light to my right hand. Then unclip , pull forward, glance, and restow.

Open your eyes. Look at gauge.

I have a bungee loop on my light head which holds cookies. I can use that loop to hold the light with my right hand by putting my thumb through the loop. Start the video below at time delta 2:42

I clip my gauge to my left shoulder D-ring. All I have to do is look down and left. Helmet light makes it a 100% hands free operation.

I clip my gauge to my left shoulder D-ring. All I have to do is look down and left. Helmet light makes it a 100% hands free operation.

That doesn't scale though. What will you do when you add stages?

That doesn't scale though. What will you do when you add stages?

The same thing I now do with stages? Not sure what the questions is. One method or the other, the gauge is going to be clipped to a ring that has a stage clipped to it as well.

Maybe you mean the stage bottle gauges? My gauges are on 6" hoses that are just as easily read by glancing down at them. If I can see the first stage I can see the gauge.

Last edited:
2 stages and a spg on your chest is real busy. I wouldn’t recommend that.

Maybe it's just my body shape but I don't seem to have any issues with it. The line routes under my arm and the gauge sits tight to me. Granted I don't do a lot of stage dives and I'm likely just using a single stage and dropping off a deco bottle but it's pretty convenient not having to unclip anything and just glancing down. I have no problems using my hip D-ring, it just isn't nearly as convenient. I suppose a ton of bottles and I'd feel cluttered.

How I do it (read backgas gauge on the trigger) is reach back and hit it with the light to make it glow. Then move light to my right hand and unclip gauge with left hand and look at it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom