Ready for my first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree with the statements that choosing regs is very personal decision and that you need to try as many as you can.
BCD selection is personal and subjective.
Reg selection OTOH can be done objectively. Read the reviews and talk with folks. Although not a big fan of Scuba Lab, I don't think they would alter the breathing machine number. Admitedly, people who dive a particular reg will likely tell you that is the best reg, so you will need to be wary in that regard and filter their comments.

Having said that, I am a big fan of Scubapro. I am not a cold water diver and usually dive with a MK25 S600 combo. I have used Scubapro since the 70's but also have Mares and USD regs. The Mk25 S600 is by far the best I have used.
One nice thing about SP is it's wide network of dealers and service centers. This is the case with USD as well.

If I were diving cold, I would consider The environmentaly sealed MK17 and the metal barreled G250V

What do you guys think of metal regulators? Mares advertises that some of their metal regulators use condensation to put back moisture. I find this intriguing (I hate that dry air).

I am considering this package with the Mares Abyss 12...
Mares Sport Package Reviews and discounts, Mares

If you go with Mares, I would get at least the MR22 first stage if you are going to dive up here at home. I dive a Mares MR22 Abyss without any type environmental seal. I have had it in 38 degree water many times without any problems. You should also get a metal second stage for cold water diving.

If you dive mostly in cold water, and choose a Scubapro, dont go with the MK25 which could freeze. Choose the MK17/G250V instead.

The metal second stage does provide more moisture. With a plastic regulator I come up so dry that I sound like Loius Armstrong. The Proton metal second stage eliminates this. Mares is the last company to make a metal second.

The brand of regulator is less important than how it is maintined and set up. I borrowerd a regulator set from an instructor, Mares 12 first stage, Atomic second stage, Dacor octo, and no-name gauges. The combination worked great at 102 feet, as it was correctly maintained and adjusted.

I'm new to diving so I don't have much experience or other regs to compare to but I gotta say that I LOVE my Atomic B2. I hardly even notice the thing is in my mouth due to the ball/flange swivel at the second stage and the rotating swivel at the first stage as well as being pretty lightweight and breathing extremely smoothly. Includes the rapid adjuster that you spoke of to adjust the ease of breathing. Typically what you'll want to do with that is close it completely or back it out a turn while you're on the surface to avoid free flow, especially if you're doing a beach entry but once you get under you'll just open it up completely. Opening it half way won't help you conserve air, breathing slow and without effort will.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/IMG_1103.jpg

I noticed the opinions about Promate so I decided to drop in. Promate is almost identical to a number of higher priced brand names. The only difference you'll find on one first stage is the thickness of the high pressure diaphragm. Promate is manufactured in Taiwan on an Italian design used by many manufacturers and well proven in reliability. As a Repair Technician certified in over a dozen brands the difference really doesn't affect performance. However there is something to be said about where a product is manufactured. ScubaPro is moving the manufacturing of some of their products from Thailand to Taiwan.
I've been diving, and selling, Promate regs for over 4 years now. I even sold my MK25S600 ScubaPro reg because the Promate was a better breather. I never thought I would give up using a ScubaPro BC until I tried the Promate BC. The Promate BC felt odd on the surface but was much more comfortable underwater, and at the surface in water, than the ScubaPro.
Look around before you buy. Don't just arbitrarily give up on the "off" brands. I will warn against buying any scuba product made in Thailand because of the quality issues I've seen over the years.

From what you have said about your diving plans, you do not need an environmentally sealed 1st stage. As you might gather from the variety of recommendations, there are many excellent regs out there; in fact practically any reg from a reputable manufacturer will perform just fine in recreational conditions. Most important is that you have GOOD quality service available for your reg. A good tech can make a mediocre reg perform quite well, and a bad one can ruin the performance of a top-notch reg.

Here is a short list of reasonably priced regs that are often considered best buys: (in no particular order) aqualung titan, scubapro MK2/R190, zeagle envoy.

If you search on the regulator forum you'll find hundreds of threads like this and recommendations.

Avoid wasting your time and money and get yourself an APEX XTX100 regulator....thank me later.

Apeks XTX100 Regulator

PS. Get the DIN version.

this is where my research has taken me so far...
The first number is what I can get it for, the next number is their list price

Sherwood Maximus $339 (550)
Sherwood SR1 $439 (650)
Aqualung Titan LX $199 (410)
Aqualung Micron $349 (569)
Aqualung Legend LX $414 (665)
Mares MR22 Abyss $389 (600)

Any given day I am bouncing or adding or deleting form the list.

I noticed the opinions about Promate so I decided to drop in. Promate is almost identical to a number of higher priced brand names. The only difference you'll find on one first stage is the thickness of the high pressure diaphragm. Promate is manufactured in Taiwan on an Italian design used by many manufacturers and well proven in reliability. As a Repair Technician certified in over a dozen brands the difference really doesn't affect performance. However there is something to be said about where a product is manufactured. ScubaPro is moving the manufacturing of some of their products from Thailand to Taiwan.
I've been diving, and selling, Promate regs for over 4 years now. I even sold my MK25S600 ScubaPro reg because the Promate was a better breather. I never thought I would give up using a ScubaPro BC until I tried the Promate BC. The Promate BC felt odd on the surface but was much more comfortable underwater, and at the surface in water, than the ScubaPro.
Look around before you buy. Don't just arbitrarily give up on the "off" brands. I will warn against buying any scuba product made in Thailand because of the quality issues I've seen over the years.

Bill you are absolutely correct on the promate regulators and I can say without a doubt I am very satisfied with them! Not to mention Diverite, TDL, Salvo, and Oxycheq just to name a few seem to like them just fine as well.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom