Real Backmount Right Post Failure Fixed Solo Captured On Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I was solo diving and trying out the new SJCam SJ4000 action camera that is a $99.95 alternative to a GoPro by shooting skill videos underwater similar to what I have done with GoPro in the past to compare cameras.

I'm filming selfie videos by resting the camera on a training platform in 27 feet of water. The camera is attached to a 3 lb. lead weight (lightest weight handy) with a surfboard mount fastened by cable ties.

During a valve drill, I experience a real right post failure (leaking DIN O-ring) that I fixed myself even though the failure was behind my head. I decided to create a YouTube clip since I managed to capture it on video to show that a backmount diver can resolve fixable failures behind one's head.

The video may be viewed here: [video=youtube;GhZdrLnZlzg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhZdrLnZlzg[/video]

Since I'm far away from the camera and the leak is small it is best to watch the video in HD and full screen.

Nice video and good trim. It might not be a bad idea to first purge your backup to make sure it actual works, before shutting down what you are breathing.

I had already done that. I was in the middle of demonstrating:

1) Test necklace
2) Shut down right post then open it
3) Switch back to primary
3) Close Isolator then open it
4) Close left post and purge back-up then open it
5) Flow check

I heard the leak after I closed the isolator then I decided to try to fix it so I knew my back-up was working since I had tested it. I just started video right from leak rather than the start of the valve drill. Great observation though!

Great trim IMO, solidly in place while troubleshooting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom