Real world review of the AOI DLP-04 acrylic mini dome port with Olympus PT-EP10 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgnu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently spent some time trying to figure out whether or not to buy a Zen mini dome for my Olympus setup, and while researching it I found this AOI dome that is quite a bit cheaper, but I found almost no reviews or examples of pictures taken with the setup.

Instead of going the safe route, I decided to get the AOI dome and try it out on my upcoming trip to the Philippines. Here's my small review for anyone else in a similar situation.

So, my setup is an Olympus e-pl5 in the PT-EP10 housing. I use the Olympus 9-18mm and the Olympus 60mm macro. for strobes I have two Sea&Sea YS-D1.

I've previously used the standard olympus flat port, and while I've been very happy with the macro shots, the FoV and distortion when using the 9-18mm at 9mm is... well pretty awful honestly.

0usNc1o.jpg

The AOI DLP-04 was easy to install, and it feels like it fits very well. I had no hesitation taking it under water the first time. The dome comes in different models, including glass and acrylic ports. I went with the (cheaper) acrylic version.

I noted right away on land that the whole setup was quite prone to reflecting the text on the front of the lens when shooting towards the light, but I fixed that with some masking tape to cover the text, and a step-up ring to fill out the gap between the side of the lens and the port. I didn't experience any reflections with the setup underwater after that.

So, on to the results:

I looked through all the shots I took in order to find examples at different apertures. I didn't find many shots on 4-5.6 apertures, since the light levels were such that I needed closing it down either way to get the strobe light in there. Most shots I took were at around f/8.

Corner sharpness is not perfect at any aperture of course, but its a lot better at, say f/7 or so and above. I pretty much shot only at 9mm, so I cant comment on how using the lens at something like 11mm affects the corners (I remember it making a drastic difference when using the flat port)

04HgTJr.jpg

1/125s, f/8, ISO 200

DgEbxRN.jpg

1/250s, f/9, ISO 200

4uffkDp.jpg

1/250s, f/9, ISO 200

Xu5mCC9.jpg

1/125s, f/8, ISO 200

8RoNSi3.jpg

1/160s, f/5.6, ISO 200

yTIhk45.jpg

1/250s, f/9, ISO 200

REzx7aS.jpg

1/125s, f/8, ISO 200

kBUOqT1.jpg

1/60s, f/5.6, ISO 1600

YekrKq7.jpg

1/80s, f/8, ISO 200

K4zg5zB.jpg

1/160s, f/4, ISO 200

I also did some shooting with the 60mm macro lens. The difference in magnification was quite noticable when being used to the flat port, but I honestly felt it was an improvement for all but the tiniest subjects. The 60mm focal length on micro 4/3 is quite tight as is, and being able to move closer to fill the frame felt nice.

nNJCiAn.jpg

1/250s, f/7.1, ISO 200

WKqDL6X.jpg

1/160s, f/8, ISO 200

17faiqm.jpg

1/200s, f/7.1, ISO 200

oE4RcID.jpg

1/200s, f/6.3, ISO 200

xygtwnx.jpg

1/250s, f/8, ISO 200

jpXKcBn.jpg

1/200s, f/8, ISO 200

As a strange side-note, the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens works well behind this port as well. Some vignetting at very close focus distances, but nothing that can't be removed in post. It's a strange choice of lens for underwater photography, but when shooting thresher sharks at dawn on Malapascua without strobes, I needed all the light I could get, and 20mm was plenty wide enough for the distances that the sharks were at.

bBxKXqw.jpg

1/60s, f/1.8, ISO 1000

althiQZ.jpg

1/60s, f/1.8, ISO 400

I tried the 14-42mm kit zoom for this scenario as well, and while it dit focus fine and worked great behind the port, it's just not a very great lens, and it turned out too slow for the low light levels, with high ISO as a result.

Having never owned a dome port before, I read about acrylic being worse for split shots, and this worried me a bit since I love snorkelling for over/unders when I'm not diving properly. Some texts on the internet almost had me believe that splits with an acrylic dome was hardly even worth trying.

As it turns out, this dome worked great for splits. I used the technique of fully submerging the dome, and then quickly taking shots before the film of water starts to break into drops. Night-and day difference of how easy it was compared to trying it with the flat port!

ruUMbCm.jpg

1/60s, f/7.1, ISO 640

In conclusion I'm very happy with the purchase. I haven't owned or tried a zen port or any other dome, so I guess I don't really have much to compare with, but I would not hesitate to make the same choice again.

Hoping this might help some internet stranger searching for info on the AOI DLP-04 mini dome port :)

Thanks for sharing this. I've been considering whether to go with acrylic in my attempt to move to a smaller lighter setup. Sounds like it's worth giving it a try.

I used a matte black tape instead (like electrical/insulation tape, but less reflective). I cut small pieces of it and covered the text on the front of the lens.

Worked great for me. I also added a step-up ring (52mm-67mm) to block the sides of the lens, but I'm not sure if that was needed. It was cheap off ebay anyway.

Thanks for this interesting report ignu...
For the PT-EP13 housing (OM-D 5 MII), Olympus recommends the PPO-EP02 port (see attached pdf file). Do you know whether this is the same port, just other name, or does it have different properties?

Wolfgang

Attachments

• PT-EP13.pdf
    614.8 KB · Views: 356
I have no idea I'm afraid.

I remember reading somewhere online that AOI is an OEM for olympus uw housing stuff, so it is possible that is the same design, but I have no idea...

Great pics and great review. I've been debating picking up the 9-18 zoom. Since you mostly shot with it at 9mm, perhaps I can skip it since I already have the 8mm FE with AOI dome port and have been very happy with the results.

I find the 9-18 to be very versatile with the ability to zoom. So, it's a completely different animal than the 8mm.
What I love is the semi dome port than can handle both the 9-18 & 60mm macro. Then I can cover a very wide range without a port change.
If I want 8mm FE, I have to commit to it for they day. I'm using oly Pen housings (epl7 now) so port changes take more effort than the omd housings or a nauticam.

I have the Zen semi dome for the 9-18/60 and the AOI acrylic for the 8mm.
I'm happy with both

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom