Really? Another "Help Me Pick My Next Liveaboard Thread"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a fairly miserable trip from Western Canada though.
Yeah, I have been researching travel time and cost from Seattle, Portland and Los Angeles to the Red Sea for quite some time. The diving looks very agreeable to me, the live aboard's are dirt cheap by industry standards and it would be nice to visit a new part of the world. Seems like flights on Turkish Airlines through Instanbul to Hurghada or Marsa Alam are the best options, but seem to run a solid 24+ hours of travel time and $1600 US round trip.

I haven't looked at flights originating from Calgary or Vancouver, BC.

First class on Turkish Airlines is worth every cent! Actual chef on the flight asking how you like your meat cooked :)

IIRC, I went through Toronto and Heathrow before landing Cairo. Found it an unpleasant trip, which is really odd since I'm used to stopping in Vancouver and then Narita or Hong Kong before finally making it to Singapore.

I'd been meaning to check on flights to Istanbul because I have a dive buddy there to visit and tour Istanbul with, then on my own tour Turkey, then return to Istanbul, meet up with buddy again and we both head to Red Sea for diving.

However, new plan is through Heathrow again because my Singapore family transferring to London this summer.

My lazy winters in Singapore are over. :(

I guess I will just have to spend all winter in Indonesia diving instead, as it is highly unlikely that I will be inclined to spend quite as much time with them in London as I ever did in Singapore. They'll probably be happy about that. Bwahahaaaa :rofl3:

I guess I will just have to spend all winter in Indonesia diving instead, as it is highly unlikely that I will be inclined to spend quite as much time with them in London as I ever did in Singapore. They'll probably be happy about that. Bwahahaaaa :rofl3:

Well, that sounds terrible about Indonesia... :wink:

That would have been nice. Don't recall why I was on the milk route, might have been price.

My flight itinerary to the Red Sea was...
-Edmonton to Toronto
-Toronto to Munich
-Munich to Hurghada

And the inverse of the same to get back. I didn't find it too bad, but I'm not sure I'd do it with family in tow.

Just fyi...Galapagos is certainly a pelagic destination with the largest biomass of sharks on the planet at 17.5 tons per square hectare (2.47 acres). Cocos comes in second with half that many sharks. Nowhere has the combination of pelagic species and the abundance of other species as Galapagos. Endemic species like the marine iguanas and the world's northernmost penguin. 592 species of fish,. Turtles, sea lions, rays, dolphins, mola molas, seahorse, red-lipped batfish, eels, etc.

As for the zika information on Ecuador, there have been 0 cases in Galapagos for 2 years. Cases in Ecuador were along the coast of the mainland. 0 cases ever reported in the highlands. They just don't seem to exist above about 4000 ft. So fly into Quito at 9,000 ft and out to Galapagos, board and experience just about the best diving on the planet.

Reactions: Dan
Just fyi...Galapagos is certainly a pelagic destination with the largest biomass of sharks on the planet at 17.5 tons per square hectare (2.47 acres). Cocos comes in second with half that many sharks. Nowhere has the combination of pelagic species and the abundance of other species as Galapagos. Endemic species like the marine iguanas and the world's northernmost penguin. 592 species of fish,. Turtles, sea lions, rays, dolphins, mola molas, seahorse, red-lipped batfish, eels, etc.

As for the zika information on Ecuador, there have been 0 cases in Galapagos for 2 years. Cases in Ecuador were along the coast of the mainland. 0 cases ever reported in the highlands. They just don't seem to exist above about 4000 ft. So fly into Quito at 9,000 ft and out to Galapagos, board and experience just about the best diving on the planet.

That’s what I did 3 years ago.

How is diving in Galapagos in December?

By then things will be more quiet. It’s not a good time to be there now, especially in Jakarta. People are waiting for the result of presidential election that will be announced on next Wednesday (May 22).

Jakarta on terror alert ahead of election results

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom