Really disappointed with HOG 32 wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drewh1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bought a lightly used 32# wing here on Scubaboard for a friend of mine. Tried it out and it had a pinch flat. I decided to fix the pinch rather than buy a new bladder. Bought some 3m Marine 5200, worked great sealing the pinch flat.

Tried it again, this time, the wing leaked all around the top seal, many tiny bubbles. Now this wing did not have a lot of dives on it so that really seemed weird and worrisome.

Bought a new bladder, shipped second day air, Got it, went to install it in the wing and - crap! the threads on this bladder are coarse not fine. WHAT!! Tried every part I have from a Zeagle wing to my DSS wings. Nothing fits, can't even find the part online.

So now I have had this wing for 3 months and not one dive on it yet.

I have had three DSS wings, even traded one online. shipped it and traveled with it. NEVER had a problem. Won't be buying any Edge products again.

Maybe someone can tell me where to find the coarse thread parts though so I may yet get some use out of this one.

OK, so let's get this straight, you won't buy any products from a manufacturer because you had a bad experience with a thread change? Were you aware that Hog switched their supplier for these wings to provide a higher quality product? Did you call Jack and let him know that you had a thread compatibility issue and see what he said?

No - I am disapointed because the bladder should not have leaked at the seams in the first place. And then to have to replace the valve and elbow because the bladder was defective is just ridiculous. I have seen 20 YO BC's with original bladders that never leak. It just does not leave me with much confidence in the material and manufacturing of the bladder.

Jim - It looks brand new and was represented as having fewer than 50 dives. I believe it because there is no visible wear on the the straps, plate or wing, no fading or other signs of use.

I, of course, knew I was going to get some flack for the post, but I do think it is important for people to have information and other opinions so they can buy the right gear.

ok, so you're disappointed, you very well may have an old bladder from another mfg than the current one. They changed mfg's because they were disappointed in quality. No manufacturer has a perfect track record, EVERYONE at some point will have something that leaks. Stuff happens, life goes on. Get over it, and if you're not happy, then talk to the mfg, and see what they're willing to do.

You are being completely ridiculous that you had one bad experience and haven't actually talked to the mfg and are saying you won't buy any of their products again, that's absurd. If it has a Made in USA tag it is one of the older wings, it would explain the issues you have, they switched OEM's due to quality issues. During that switch, there may have been a thread change on the bladders. At least talk to them before you write them off completely. You may very well be surprised.

You are being completely ridiculous that you had one bad experience and haven't actually talked to the mfg and are saying you won't buy any of their products again, that's absurd. ....

1st impressions mean a lot. Not saying I agree with the thread starter, but it's human nature to be disappointed and reluctant to re-purchase from a manufacture if the 1st and only experience was negative.

but his first and only experience wasn't with the manufacturer, it was with used gear. I talked to Jack this morning, he hasn't had any communication from this guy. Now, I was told that only the newest wings use a coarse thread, all of the replacement bladders and older wings were the standard fine thread. It apparently also feels stiff when you are first screwing it in because it is so fine of a thread. Now, if the threads are visually different, he has just received a brand new bladder, and that is on the dealer he bought it from for not knowing the thread pitch changed and sending him the wrong bladder. Should have known since it was an older wing that it needed fine thread.

Back to the point of first impressions, if this is his first impression, it's the wrong one. Be disappointed, but not in the manufacturer since he hasn't actually talked to anyone from there. To the OP, please call or email Jack and explain the situation before you make blanket statements like this.

Jack Schmidt
Operations Manager
EDGE/HOG Diving Equipment
1-888-810-4811 Ext. 104
edgediving.operations@gmail.com

Bought a new bladder, shipped second day air, Got it, went to install it in the wing and - crap! the threads on this bladder are coarse not fine. WHAT!! Tried every part I have from a Zeagle wing to my DSS wings. Nothing fits, can't even find the part online.

Where did you buy the replacement bladder? Was there no discussion or comment on compatibility?

The mfgr web site does not offer replacement bladders directly, so I guess they have no reason to address compatibility. If they did offer it, I would have expected the mfgr to advise of the compatibility issue there. It would seem to me a good seller would address the issue as part of the sale.

All I can say is - we are talking about a bladder here, not some new technological development in super balanced venturi assist regulators. I have seen beach balls last longer than this. This is not rocket science. If a DIVE gear company cannot source a reliable bladder (one that should last many years under the abuse of traveling and packing), I am definitely not going to buy a regulator or more complicated piece of gear from them.

I spoke to the manufacturer initially and they referred me to their dealers to obtain a replacement bladder. No mention of the possibility of parts incompatibilities an no offer to look into a possible defect. The dealer was very responsive but also had no idea that the company had gone with a non-standard thread on the bladder. No one has yet been able to tell me were to source the parts. the dealer is working to help me get the wing up and running and I am happy with their responsiveness.

No one has yet been able to tell me were to source the parts. the dealer is working to help me get the wing up and running and I am happy with their responsiveness.

Yes we have. Call Jack, I gave you his full contact information. If the dealer took the bladder out of another wing, then he has a new wing. If he ordered a replacement bladder, he would have gotten the old one. If he didn't, it is a simple mistake.

Your reference to not being able to source a reliable bladder is bs, they are now getting bladders from an entirely different entity and you are not even allowing this to be chalked up to a potential defect that showed itself years after production. Be reasonable. RF welding isn't perfect, and clearly the wing was not "lightly used" since it had a pinch flat. It may not have had many dives, it may not have been in abusive environments, but it clearly wasn't taken care of to the point of "lightly used".

All the dealer had to do was call Jack and say "hey guy needed a replacement bladder, this one has a different thread pitch. Did you change it?" "yup, changed it recently, will send you the one that will fit his inflator and dump valve".

30 second conversation and this wouldn't have been an issue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom