really distasteful ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't accuse me of something when you base your hypohesis on your personal dislike for me. Your comments about my personal life have no purpose here other than to attempt to rattle my cage.

When was the last time you participated in a scuba discussion?

Time to move on from this attempted inquisition.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Is it possible for you to reply with the quote you are responding to ? So we can tell which post you are replying to. I am trying to keep it all straight

You have been here long enough to know mods will always use their access to win any and all arguments.

It is impossible to challenge anyone who can alter your voice.

Just ignore the Mods and move on.

Mods will always get the last word in. Especially after they erase your posts.

As a former mod, I understand a few things that apparently you don't ...

1. Mods come in as wide a variety of personalities as the rest of us.
2. They're only human ... which means sometimes they make mistakes. Most are well-intentioned.
3. Occasionally some on staff will cross a line that abuses their authority. Most times, they acknowledge their mistake and everyone moves on. If it becomes habitual, that person is eventually "unstaffed". I've seen that happen several times.
4. Mods don't "always" do any of the things you accuse them of ... the vast majority are chosen because they have integrity ... and for the most part they show a lot of restraint, particularly against those who like to complain about them.
5. Mods will point out each other's perceived flaws and errors better than you or I ever will.

This thread is about one situation ... involving one staff and one member. Let's not get overly general ... that brush is way too broad to paint an accurate picture with ... oh, and it's worth pointing out that the staff member involved isn't a moderator.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, I guess I missed much the ruckus. The OP had it coming IMO. I was flabergasted the OP was dominating the board along with countless demands of staff during a very busy project (software update)...

Demands are easy to ignore ... best way to get a dragon off your back is not to feed it.

The OP didn't "have it coming" ... what kind of schoolyard BS is that anyway? This thread isn't about Jax ... it's about behavior that violates both the spirit and letter of the ToS, and the actions of a staff member that enabled a mob mentality. That just doesn't have a place in this community ... there IS no justification for it. As adults, we should all know better.

I've seen the same half-dozen or so people dogpile other members in the past. It's like the high school "cool kids" club that verbally assaults anyone who doesn't meet their standards. That crap just shouldn't be tolerated ... it's juvenile and ugly. It's particularly ugly when it's "enabled" by a member of staff.

There are rules of behavior here that apply to everyone. Bad enough when a member violates those. When staff uses their unique privileges to retaliate in kind, that crosses a line that just shouldn't get crossed.

Being a member of staff involves a measure of trust that you won't abuse your authority ... and once you do something to lose that trust, it's difficult as all hell to get it back.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

what happens here should be taken with a very large grain of salt....including amusing interchanges between posters....

But, but, but... I'm on a low sodium diet.

Seriously, from what I saw of the exchange I was very surprised. I did not see anything from "behind the scenes," but felt what was stated in public was inappropriate. We all make mistakes (heck, I remember the only one I made back in 1984...). Maybe too much pressure from the upgrade of the Board? I certainly applaud what the staff does in keeping this website an "interesting" place to visit each morning as I drink my coffee. Let's all cool down (come dive here... below the thermocline... to effect that), bring Jax back and get on with the things we all share in common.

I'm sure if/when some other mod undoes what you did to Jax, she will be here to back up my "petty accusations". For those that can see Jax's FB page, you can find the basis for my "assumptions"

Don't apologize for your vendetta against Jax, when you are still actively engaging in it...that's all I'm saying.

Repost the facebook stuff for those of us who do not facebook....

As a former mod, I understand a few things that apparently you don't ...

1. Mods come in as wide a variety of personalities as the rest of us.
2. They're only human ... which means sometimes they make mistakes. Most are well-intentioned.
3. Occasionally some on staff will cross a line that abuses their authority. Most times, they acknowledge their mistake and everyone moves on. If it becomes habitual, that person is eventually "unstaffed". I've seen that happen several times.
4. Mods don't "always" do any of the things you accuse them of ... the vast majority are chosen because they have integrity ... and for the most part they show a lot of restraint, particularly against those who like to complain about them.
5. Mods will point out each other's perceived flaws and errors better than you or I ever will.

This thread is about one situation ... involving one staff and one member. Let's not get overly general ... that brush is way too broad to paint an accurate picture with ... oh, and it's worth pointing out that the staff member involved isn't a moderator.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I fully intended to stay out of this thread, but I couldn't let this slide by. So I'm going to allow myself this one comment.

First off, thank you Bob for stating those thoughts much more eloquently than I would have.

I also don't think the majority of users here realize how true this statement is:
Board policy prevents us from discussing the details of a moderation decision. In my tenure as a mod, I've personally dealt with some of the biggest problem users in recent history. It is utterly astounding how many users will jump on the bandwagon against those actions by making claims and accusations of things that never happened. At one point, I've even been blasted publicly for moderating users whom I'd never heard of before. By and large, we pretty much just have to grit our teeth and keep our mouth shut while the offended party(s) put whatever spin on things they choose. Sometimes I wish we had more transparency but once that door opens a little, someone always wants to fling it wide open. And once we make a comment, someone always tries to use it to point out that Mods are evil! So, pretty much we're damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Mistakes can and do get made. We try and keep those to a minimum and for the most part, I think we accomplish that. When we don't, the best thing we can do is acknowledge the error, make sure it doesn't become a pattern and move forward.

But, but, but... I'm on a low sodium diet...
Sucks, doesn't it?
As my mamma sez, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies"
:)
Rick

Thank you, Emily and Alice, for your support. :hugs:

As per my signature, on Friday, my password no longer worked. Fact.

Upon the attempt to reset password, I entered the email address at which I had just received two scubaboard automatic emails, and the SB reset system responded the email was not registered. Fact.

Moderators - at the request of friends - checked my status, and I was not "banned". - True. :)

A moderator corrected my email address today after I was able to contact them off-line, and at 10:50 MST I could get back on. There have been a large number of changes in my profile which I am correcting as rapidly as possible.

My only regret is that due to issues that have been addressed, I unfairly and with poor judgment believed Cave Diver was involved. That hurts me greatly as I now know he has operated with integrity, and all other was all one person's doing. For that, I am very, very regretful and apologize for doubting you, John.

As for the rest of it, OMG, it's the Inter[-]Webs[/-]Tubes, People!!!

228cf967-6f39-45da-8226-2785299cc441.jpg

Last edited:
Demands are easy to ignore ... best way to get a dragon off your back is not to feed it.

The OP didn't "have it coming" ... what kind of schoolyard BS is that anyway? This thread isn't about Jax ... it's about behavior that violates both the spirit and letter of the ToS, and the actions of a staff member that enabled a mob mentality. That just doesn't have a place in this community ... there IS no justification for it. As adults, we should all know better.

Bob, you have a frequent habit of changing the subject matter creating straw-man arguments. Personally, I like the OP, who served our country well as a military officer. However, no one is immune from censure should they create countless jihads in site support over a host of trivial issues, especially during a very trying time (software up-grade) for the IT administrator.

I've seen the same half-dozen or so people dogpile other members in the past. It's like the high school "cool kids" club that verbally assaults anyone who doesn't meet their standards. That crap just shouldn't be tolerated ... it's juvenile and ugly. It's particularly ugly when it's "enabled" by a member of staff.

I totally agree, except this time they were right IMO...

Back
Top Bottom