Really dry throat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami Mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
During my first o/w I got a really dry throat. I was afraid to swallow my own saliva through the regulator. I do it fine in the pool, but I didn't want to do it in the ocean. As a result, my throat got REALLY dry--to the point I felt I was gonna choke.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Goodness MM,

You really went the entire dive without swallowing? Speaking as a novice myself, I think you really should swallow once in a while. :)

But to answer your question, No, I don't get a dry throat while diving.

Dry throat (and mouth) did happen to me during my first dives, but now that I use the SeaCure mouthpeice, not only do I never get jaw fatigue, but my mouth stays wet since I can kinda chew a bit on the bite wings.

Another trick to fool your mouth into making saliva is to put minty toothpast on your mouthpeice.

And for those with more cash than inventiveness, Apollo makes a device called the BioFilter that can be placed inline with your 2nd stage hose that will add moisture back into the air you're breathing.

Corsair has one of those, but I think I caught him putting 15 year old scotch in it one time.

MM,

Could be that you were somewhat dehydrated before the dive and that breathing dry air underwater made things worse. I always try to pay close attention to my hydration in the 12 hours before I dive -- it really helps keep me from drying out too much.

I used to have a problem with cotton mouth when I would dive in Cozumel. I noticed this condition to be much more prevelant if I had been out with my muchachos enjoying the nightlife the night before-I think I would get dehydrated. In Bonaire this year, I drank about a liter of water before every dive and never had a problem with cotton mouth.

If you try all the "regular" remedies and are still having problems, look into a Sherwood Oasis second stage. These regs have a steel plate in the second stage that condenses some of the moisture from your exhaled breath and then returns that moisture to your mouth and throat as the condensate evaporates with the next inhalation. Simple and it works.
Rick

Hi Miami Mermaid,

In addition to staying well hydrated, here's a number of other possibilities:

1. Purchase a reg with "moisturizing fins" in the second stage, such as the Oasis & Blizzard made by Sherwood.
2. Purchase the Apollo reg which has a "moisturizing chamber" into which you place a small, damp sponge. Or get one of Apolo's new in-line mositurizers.
3. Purchase a "Scuda," or a "Camel-back," nifty little diver's canteens which allow you a squirt of fresh water when you want it.
4. Tickle the roof of your mouth with your tongue, or run it along your teeth, as this will trigger salivation.
5. Rub a very small bit of toothpaste in your mouthpiece prior to entry.

Dive safe & wet.

DocVikingo

I have used a Sea Cure mouthpiece for three years and love it. I've dived with regs that are supposed to keep you from getting a dry mouth and haven't noticed any real difference.

Stay well hydrated -- and develop the trick of building saliva in your mouth and swallowing it. This is easy to do with the Sea Cure, since you don't have to keep biting down to keep it in your mouth.

...Barb

Hey Mermaid!

I MUST agree w/ Doc & Rick about the Oasis regulator, especially since that's what I use. Remember how much you liked it a couple of weeks ago when you tried it? If you want, I'll bring it over this weekend & you can try it in your pool for a while.

The Oasis was my 1st regulator 10 yrs ago when I 1st got certified & I got it b/c I had the same problem w/ drymouth, & notice I replaced it (after losing it...dammit!) w/ the same reg. I absolutely recommend it for you ;-)

And drinking plenty of water before the dive helps, too.

I don't want to say it....

Trying to fight it....

just can't help myself....

<getting up on soap-box>

I support 'swallowing' 100% - in all recreational activities!!!

<stepping down from soap-box and pulling on asbestos drysuit>

There - now that that's out of my system....try a certs or a cough drop between your cheek and gum - should keep the saliva flowing, and you can always spit it out (or swallow it) if it becomes bothersome...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom