Really dry throat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi martinjc,

Sucking on a drop,lozenge or the like must be done with great care. Should you aspirate it u/w, you're in deep trouble.

Just a thought.

DocVikingo

Miami Mermaid,

Both Barbara and I have Oasis regs and they do the trick for us. The first time Barbara dove she thought there was something wrong with her! When we heard about the Oasis, we tried it out and it worked as advertised. Maybe a dive shop will let you try it before you buy it.

Basically, what the reg has, as Rick says, is a little piece of metal that is cooled to the surrounding water temp. It then can condense the moisture that is being carried out of your mouth. The reason you lose moisture is that the air in your tank is dry and moisture in your mouth hydrates it.

Enjoy your diving!

Joewr

Either Martin and I misread the original post or everyone else just missed it.

MM stated that she had no problem with dry throat in the pool because she felt ok about SWALLOWING, however, when she did the OW in the ocean she did not feel ok about SWALLOWING her saliva.

I think you would all agree that any of you would have a "dry throat" after a dive if you didn't SWALLOW at some point. Even many of the wonderful suggestions everyone offered require SWALLOWING in order to be effective.

So, MM, while all the suggestions posted about what to do for dry throat are wonderful, the FIRST thing you need to do, IMO, is SWALLOW throughout the dive, thus moisturizing your throat with your own saliva the way God intended :).

The same dry mouth thing happened to me. I have to admit, I was very dehydrated.
About the Oasis regulator, and this is probably a dumb question, are all regulators compatible with other brands of equipment? Such as Octopus, gauges, ect?

Mermom,

Someone once told me that there is no such thing as a dumb question--only a dumb answer. And here is my attempt at one!

Usually, one does not mix regulators--i.e., a Sherwood first stage goes with a Sherwood second stage, etc. That is what I learned and I guess I bought the reasoning at the time. However, I have a Sherwood set-up but with a SeaQuest AirSource alt. air and it works just fine. Now, it is true that the AirSource is not screwed into the first stage, but I am not certain what that has to do with the price of tea in Sri Lanka. But, someone will tell us if we just wait awhile!

As far as what goes on the consol, you can use whatever brand of computer, air pressure gauge, depth gauge, etc. that pleases you.

Joewr

Perhaps not "all" second stages can be attached to "all" first stages, but many, if not most, can. You need to look at the manufacturer's acceptable operating ranges for intermediate pressure for first and second stages - as long as there is sufficient overlap, they should work together.
Rick

Ok divers. I'm seriously going to swallow the second time around. I was a bit nervous my first two dives.

Plus there are so many benefits to swallowing!
lol!

I'm proud to say my husband surprised me with an Oasis regulator yesterday! It was sitting in my living room when we both walked into the house!
Puchikatt, you know I loved that reg the moment I tried it!

With many thanks to all of you, from now on I will always swallow (right hand raised),

Hi Mermom,

From what I've seen, most newer equipment is pretty much compatible. They all have "standard" size ports and whatnot. The only problem I've seen is with the Conshelf 1st stage. It had a bigger high pressure port, so it needed an adapter to attach the Oceanic gauges...which cost all of $5.00 (if that). I'm sure there are other regs that need adapters, but they (the adapters) should be easy to come by. Check with your LDS repair department and see what regs aren't standard.

Back
Top Bottom