Reason to wear wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, please change your settings so we can see it easily.

Many, many years ago, whilst diving off of Venice Beach, Florida, I had missed the memo about the purple meanies swimming all over the place. EVERYONE was in full neoprene, including gloves and hoodies. Everyone, but me. I was in shorts and my infamous tiedyed T-shirt. Not wanting to miss the dive, I relied on my situational awareness. Man, I even heard one trying to sneak up behind me, but I made two 90 minute dives without nary a hit. I escaped the Purple Meanie invasion unscathed. What's remarkable about that was that I was the only one to do so. EVERYONE in full neoprene got hit and there were many tears on that boat. Just not mine.

So why do I dive without protection? When you're built like a manatee: you get to dive like one. :D :D :D

Explanation: in the 1954 movie The Caine Mutiny, the mutineers called Captain Queeg (Humphrey Bogart) "Old Yellow Stain".

That is a great movie (and book)!

"Reason to wear wetsuit"
To Keep warm!

Yeah, please change your settings so we can see it easily.

Many, many years ago, whilst diving off of Venice Beach, Florida, I had missed the memo about the purple meanies swimming all over the place. EVERYONE was in full neoprene, including gloves and hoodies. Everyone, but me. I was in shorts and my infamous tiedyed T-shirt. Not wanting to miss the dive, I relied on my situational awareness. Man, I even heard one trying to sneak up behind me, but I made two 90 minute dives without nary a hit. I escaped the Purple Meanie invasion unscathed. What's remarkable about that was that I was the only one to do so. EVERYONE in full neoprene got hit and there were many tears on that boat. Just not mine.

So why do I dive without protection? When you're built like a manatee: you get to dive like one. :D :D :D

No hits. Maybe your tie dyed T shirt scared the crap out of them!

No hits. Maybe your tie dyed T shirt scared the crap out of them!
These guys are all about inflicting pain...

b950c8af04a1d39d96697ffd348c9d48.jpg

The critters obviously don't like it when you pee on them!

A wetsuit makes you look better and 10 pounds slimmer !!

Reactions: Zef
In 1954 after the release by the Swimmers Panel of the National Security Council the very first wet suit was marketed by EDCO .
Surprisingly the wet suit was not immediately accepted by the general public and even yours truly -- in the then small California diving community there was nothing wrong with using a surplus GI sweater or long underwear for thermal and abrasive protection.

Several months later the late Chuck Blakeslee the co-founder of the worlds first dive magazine Skin Diver; a magazine for skin divers and spearfishermen published and article "Wear the new wet suit for safety and protection" in which he identifies about 25 reasons why a diver of that era should wear a wet suit.

So we all trotted over to Kirkhill rubber company in Brea purchased a sheet of rubber for a hard earned California dollar and a can of Black Magic glue and made wet suits

Now almost 65 years later the diving community is STILL discussing why to wear a wet suit

I was considerably more impressed with Chucks article than I am with the reason presented in this thread

Com on fellows -- get real

Sam Miller, 111

Having taken a couple trips this year where the water was 84 at the surface, I finally did dives with no wetsuit using just a LONG sleeve rash guard and knee length board shorts.

As a minimalist already diving a bp/w, now being able to feel the water on my skin: Wow. That took diving to another level for me.

If you have never felt the tropical ocean on your skin as you dive, you are missing something.

Having taken a couple trips this year where the water was 84 at the surface, I finally did dives with no wetsuit using just a LONG sleeve rash guard and knee length board shorts.

As a minimalist already diving a bp/w, now being able to feel the water on my skin: Wow. That took diving to another level for me.

If you have never felt the tropical ocean on your skin as you dive, you are missing something.

Actually, I think you made me realize that is the real reason I go suitless whenever I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom