Reasonably priced Dive Knife Suggestions for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pondok

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I am just wondering if you guys can give me a few suggestions for dive knives, as I'm just starting out and my dive master made it very clear to my class how vital the dive knife is to a diver (he credited it with saving his life at least once). It seems some people say you don't need them, but I'd prefer to have one and not need it than need one and not have it...

Anyways- I am looking for a dive knife that would ideally be under $40. I want a knife that wont rust easily, and is made very well. I see tons on Amazon and the like, but as a wrist watch enthusiast I know that searching on Amazon or ebay doesnt give you the best of the best for your price range, so I'm hoping you guys can point me towards the best option!

Thanks for your help, and please excuse anything I may have said that was stupid or redundant-- I'm new to diving!

-Max

+1 for Eezycut. Truth be told, it's more likely to get you out of trouble than any knife. Mine is worn on my fore-arm, in the computer strap/bungee.

under $40. I want a knife that wont rust easily, and is made very well.

Cheap and quality don't often go together...but...

IMHO, titanium knives represent the best value/performance in the long run. They hold a sharp edge and will never rust. A small (3") blade is all you're ever going to need. Avoid silly stiletto and tanto designs etc... a chisel or blunt tip is best. Locate the knife on your BCD, where you can access it quickly with either hand... not strapped to your leg (it's not 1978..)

Just $10 over your preferred budget will get you a nice little titanium BCD knife:

Knives | H2Odyssey Titan Titanium BC Knife | The Scuba Diver Store

also here on Amazon: Amazon.com: PROMATE Sharp Tip Titanium BCD Knife with Mounting Sheath for Scuba Diving Dive Divers, Blue/Black: Sports & Outdoors

and Ebay: Promate Sharp Tip Titanium Scuba Dive Snorkeling Backup Knife 3" Blade | eBay

They're also sold by several other scuba gear manufacturers..
0000001555.jpg

It's actually the same knife that Halcyon and Oxycheq sell (different sheath) at a much higher price:

halcyon-titanium-mini-knife-with-h-sheath-336x336.jpgOT-02-01.jpg

I've used the Halcyon knife for nearly 10 years...that and an Eezycut, for technical wreck diving. It's still perfect.

If you want to skimp on titanium (not recommended), Leisure Pro sell a stainless version, currently on sale at $18.95:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...5/Sort_Relevance/DescSort_0/Page_1/BLRKM.html

BLRKM.jpg

Dive Gear Express sell the DXG Titanium Tek Knife for $39...
DX_904001_1-640.jpg

I don't like the bare grip though - this can more easily lead to dropping it... something you really don't want to happen on the occasion you need your knife to get you out of trouble..

I carry an EZ-cut on my right shoulder strap, a pair of titanium EMS sheers on my left strap and a Wenoka squeeze lock on my waist. If I'm hunting Lionfish, I also strap a generic titanium knife with a 6" blade to my calf (long blade to avoid the spines).
None of it adds appreciable bulk, they're all accessable with either hand and their all low maintenance.

I don't carry a knife at all. Instead, I carry EMT shears.

You've got excellent advices already about the kind of products that you should be looking at in terms of size, material, and type of tool. Not less important is the mounting and the intended use. Most effective mounting you will get on your own gear, whether it is mounting on shoulder straps of your buoyancy device, hoses of your reg, etc. Not having the planned use and where to carry the tools led me to a garage stock that I have of products that I was changing over time as my gear configuration was evolving. In retro perspective I should have start with the basic dive gear, accessories would complement it. Unless you know that you will be diving in places that you do have gather risk of entanglement, you might want to rethink the order of your purchase. Otherwise i would suggest to go with the simple and cheap until you figure out the above.

Shears are my go to cutting device. I keep them clipped off in my thigh pocket with a double ender. Shears will also cut thru a stainless leader whereas a knife will not, at least not without a lot of effort.

Two cutting devices are superior to one, in case you drop one into the abyss.

For a knife I have owned a few, and found the titanium knives cut like crap. One is an H branded knife as the holster is superior. So my friend and I found a rope underwater. I tried to cut it with my fancy knife and struggled then gave up. My friend whips out his cut off steak knife and whacked right thru it. The following week I bought a steak knife and holster. Plus if you lose a knife you can buy a package of 5 for $6.

Dalton Safety Knife w/sheath

You can also get shears with a holster.
Shears with Pouch

Wow, thanks for all that help! I have a few questions after though:

What are some ​brands​ to look into? and also, what are the best dive knives regardless of price?

For a knife I have owned a few, and found the titanium knives cut like crap. One is an H branded knife as the holster is superior. So my friend and I found a rope underwater. I tried to cut it with my fancy knife and struggled then gave up. My friend whips out his cut off steak knife and whacked right thru it. The following week I bought a steak knife and holster. Plus if you lose a knife you can buy a package of 5 for $6.

Dalton Safety Knife w/sheath

You can also get shears with a holster.
Shears with Pouch

This is exactly my experience too. Cut off steak knife or similar is the best knife I have used. It stays sharp for a long time, don't rust. Sherated really help to cut though things. Also being inexpansive, if you lose one, you won't think twice about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom