Reasonably priced Dive Knife Suggestions for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on EMT shears. Very very inexpensive, they'll cut through almost anything.

I would recommend folks perform a test for themselves. Grab a piece of rope 3/8", 1/2", etc, and two knives. One knife a regular serrated steak knife from the kitchen drawer, and the other a straight bladed knife. Cut the rope with each knife and come back and let us know which one worked better? How much pressure had to be applied, and how many cuts back and forth it took. I have already done it and the serrated steak knife won.

Either way blunt tips are the safest for the user so you don't poke a hole in things that shouldn't have holes like yourself.

I, too, use the Eezycut. I also have a more conventional small knife that I have never used for anything. It is for backup.

The Eezycut is new to me. I used to have a very similar device that I unfortunately lost when I dropped it while putting it away (I thought) blindly under a couple of deco bottles. I had used the other similar device in several other instances, and it always worked fine. Once my buddy and I were a little late starting our ascent, and we needed to cut some line before we went up. My buddy was sawing away with it with his knife with little to no result, so I just pulled out my line cutter, took a quick swipe, and we were on our way.

Eezycut on one side, Spiderco Atlantic Salt on the other.

This is exactly my experience too. Cut off steak knife or similar is the best knife I have used. It stays sharp for a long time, don't rust. Sherated really help to cut though things. Also being inexpansive, if you lose one, you won't think twice about it.

I use cheap folding lock blades that I drill a hole in to attach a shackle and clip to.

IMG_1958.jpg

...I want a knife that wont rust easily, and is made very well. I see tons on Amazon and the like, but as a wrist watch enthusiast I know that searching on Amazon or ebay doesnt give you the best of the best for your price range, so I'm hoping you guys can point me towards the best option!

The selection of a knife depends upon why you want one. Generally they are made from stainless steel, which varies in type and quality. 440 stainless is often preferred because is doesn't rust easily. It will tend to maintain shape (when prying) until it snaps. 420 stainless is less rust resistant and will bend before it breaks. It is for this reason why I prefer it. The principal reason I carry a Knife is as a tool for prying; something I've had a cause to use while wreck diving (worn inside the left leg).

Because the primary cause of entanglement for divers is fishing line and netting, I carry a line cutter for this purpose (worn on the right harness). I also carry Shears (worn on the left harness) and have used them during an in-water rescue of a person experiencing carotid sinus reflex on the surface (I cut the hood). This was the right tool to use for this purpose.

Every piece of diving equipment is designed for a particular reason (although they may be able to be used for others). Select the right tool for the job and insure that they are easily accessible with both hands in zero visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom