Reattaching inflator hose at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming it's an open bottom bag. As opposed to a reliable, easy to use closed bottom bag with an inflation spigot!

I use a semi-closed bottom. It allows air input from the bottom, but seals itself and doesn't spill air once inflated.

I prefer the semi-closed bottom type as well. If you carry sufficient air in your BC inflating it from that will keep your buoyancy constant while you inflate it. This worked well for me when I used a thick wetsuit but now with a dry-suit there is normally not enough air in the BC and adding more would defeat the purpose..

I avoid disconnecting the LP hose to begin with and oral inflate the DSMB at depth.

Before orally inflate the DSMB, I inhale deeply, purge air out of BCD to keep the buoyancy the same (or even in a slightly negative), exhale into the DSMB. I may repeat it if the job is done in the shallow so the DSMB would be fully inflate at the surface.

Once you get the collar over the nipple, you don't have to hold it open any longer. Shift your hand a little further back and wrap your entire hand around the hose to push the rest of the way on.

I'm a fan of oral inflate since things happen at a leisurely pace, but hopefully the above helps!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh...... I was trying to hold the collar back until it seated completely. I feel a little silly now.

Hey, I was not aware of this either, and I have disconnected my inflator hose at depth hundreds of times. It certainly makes sense, once you think about it.

:banghead:
learn something new every day.

^^^ This.^^^ Even better, put a blowgun nozzle on it. Then, instead of attaching it to the smb port, it's even easier to just push the nozzle into the bag and inflate while holding the bottom of the bag.

have had a few, they all leaked....

DSS used to make "hats" to fit the QD, and I think someone else still does.

@rhwestfall: Yes, I've had several that leak as well. Mostly little bubbles, I just don't worry about it.

which second stage free flows when looking down and exhaling? :eek:
Probably needs service. And it doesn't make any sense. Free flow on inhale would be possible if poorly configured.
Pretty much every regulator on the market, the difference of pressure above and bellow the diaphragm should be enough to cause a free flow, and the drop of ip pressure causes the inflator hose to be attached more easily. Makes it really easy to do in drygloves or with a sticky inflator hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom