Rebreather - Cost of Ownership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya’ll put them in them thar E-lectronic breathers fella.

Little known rb80 fact that I completely made up... the RB80 has to be wound like a watch every 46 and a half minutes. This is can only be done by another diver and that’s where team diving comes from.
Only one handed winding allowed.

Ya’ll put them in them thar E-lectronic breathers fella.

Little known rb80 fact that I completely made up... the RB80 has to be wound like a watch every 46 and a half minutes. This is can only be done by another diver and that’s where team diving comes from.
thats not true you can self wind with barrel rolls

luckily my unit only uses two, the folks with rEvo Dreams running 5 sensors must get Xmas cards from DGX.
Well I dive with 5 cells and as per manufacturer instructions I change them every 6 months, which is 2 per year. Not sure what your getting at.

Well I dive with 5 cells and as per manufacturer instructions I change them every 6 months, which is 2 per year. Not sure what your getting at.
Doesn’t that mean some of your cells end up 2 years old?

Im surprised there isnt some metric that would relate to cell life that could be implemented with the computers like tracking amp hours produced by each cell or something along those lines.

What happens when you rotate cells? I put my newest cell and my oldest cell on the NERD. Once the cell has proven itself I move it into the controller.

But there was talk of the digital sensor that would allow the computer to record sensor data, born on date, etc. been quiet for a while now.

if its a revo hes probably got 3 on the controller and 2 on the nerd/dreams so maybe 18 months if he does one in each - but even then its more than 2 (should be 4 )

From rEvo:
" the system rEvo already advises for some time, ‘rotating sensors’: the system works as follows: as soon as the youngest of all sensors in your system (3, 4 or 5) reaches the age of 6 months, you replace the weakest (the one that reacts the slowest on PPO2 changes, or the one that seems to become closest to current limiting, during the test at 6/7meters), or if you can’t find a ‘weakest’, then the oldest in your system. If of course a sensor fails before the youngest gets 6 months old, you replace it, and the latter one becomes the youngest at that moment."

So my real world experience with 5 cells are that since 2013 I've had one cell that mechanically failed i.e. a zero m.v reading no matter where you put it and it was replaced for free.I am not a fanboy of any manufacturer, the rEvo has had its issues but when I've been operating it with 5 cells, it costs about as much the same as any other ECCR.

From rEvo:
" the system rEvo already advises for some time, ‘rotating sensors’: the system works as follows: as soon as the youngest of all sensors in your system (3, 4 or 5) reaches the age of 6 months, you replace the weakest (the one that reacts the slowest on PPO2 changes, or the one that seems to become closest to current limiting, during the test at 6/7meters), or if you can’t find a ‘weakest’, then the oldest in your system. If of course a sensor fails before the youngest gets 6 months old, you replace it, and the latter one becomes the youngest at that moment."

So my real world experience with 5 cells are that since 2013 I've had one cell that mechanically failed i.e. a zero m.v reading no matter where you put it and it was replaced for free.I am not a fanboy of any manufacturer, the rEvo has had its issues but when I've been operating it with 5 cells, it costs about as much the same as any other ECCR.
Dont get me wrong, not hating on the rEvo at all. If thats the factory recommendation then sweet, it does mean that you would end up with cells older than 12 months on the unit (assuming no failures). It seems that rEvo is leaning closer to Tom's thoughts on cell replacement than some of the other manufacturers.

I am really enjoying my solid state sensors :troll::)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom