Rebreather - Cost of Ownership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont get me wrong, not hating on the rEvo at all. If thats the factory recommendation then sweet, it does mean that you would end up with cells older than 12 months on the unit (assuming no failures). It seems that rEvo is leaning closer to Tom's thoughts on cell replacement than some of the other manufacturers.

I am really enjoying my solid state sensors :troll::)

FYI, rEvo have two papers on their website here and here that explain their reasoning behind this 5 cell protocol.

5 sensors, really?!
I dive a manual breather, use two sensors, brain is between my ears and not an electronic box. I religiously check my sensor functionality as previously mentioned.

If one doesn't seem to be right, just do a diluent flush. Ok that one is not right, stay on the loop and terminate the dive. Easy peasy.

I do agree with Bletso.
We are not making enough emphases on regular dil flush during the dive to check the cells.

I do agree with Bletso.
We are not making enough emphases on regular dil flush during the dive to check the cells.
Other than dil flushes not actually checking cells what could go wrong?

I was told that revo’s have 5 cells for everytime on a dive their owners wished they bought a different unit or 5 cells for the number of brain cells you need in order to buy a revo.
Not my jokes ps.

Other than dil flushes not actually checking cells what could go wrong?

Monitoring your PO2!!! My dive partner of 25 years failed in the most basic skill and is no longer with us. Task loading, pre-occupied? one will never know. The fact that the most basic pre-dive check list would have alerted him is without doubt. THERE IS NO SUCH THING A SIMPLE REBREATHER DIVE. Familiar 10 meter quarry, swimming pool or a 100 meter dive, all are serious dives with a rebreather.

Monitoring your PO2!!! My dive partner of 25 years failed in the most basic skill and is no longer with us. Task loading, pre-occupied? one will never know. The fact that the most basic pre-dive check list would have alerted him is without doubt. THERE IS NO SUCH THING A SIMPLE REBREATHER DIVE. Familiar 10 meter quarry, swimming pool or a 100 meter dive, all are serious dives with a rebreather.
My point was that a dill flush doesn't detect a voltage limited cell or cells.

I think I know who you are talking about and if I'm not mistaken he splashed with his O2 off. I'm sorry you lost him

No splashed with the O2 not fully connected.

A diluent flush will only tell you if the cell is reading what it should at the depth/mix i.e. 30 meters/30% 1.2 PO2 Of course that only works for manual system not an E system flying a set point

No splashed with the O2 not fully connected.

A diluent flush will only tell you if the cell is reading what it should at the depth/mix i.e. 30 meters/30% 1.2 PO2 Of course that only works for manual system not an E system flying a set point

Why does a dil flush not work with an eCCR? Have I been doing it wrong?

No, but if you are doing a set point the e circuit will add O2 to maintain that value. Your flush will work, but the O2 will attempt to quickly raise your flush to the set point. Of course a bad point on an ECCR is if you do have a limited cell/s it will try to add O2 to the set point unless the cell is voted out. I believe that is the main reason one varies cell dates is so you don't have all the cells at or near end of life at the same time. That is my understanding anyway. I may be off base.

Of course if we do our jobs right we won't have that problem....Right... I have had premature cell failures from young cells!!

Back
Top Bottom