Rebreather Diver Dies on Aeolus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscott099

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On Tuesday the 29th of July we had just arrived at the dive site of the Aeolus when we came upon two divers in the water some distance from the other two dive boats already at that location.

I'm withholding the details of which boats, etc.

We pulled them aboard and one diver was unconscious and unresponsive. Remarkably there were EMT divers aboard as well as the mates who performed over and hour and a half of CPR on the gentleman. The Coast Guard also met us on the way back in and also performed the CPR.

Unfortunately the man never recovered and when we got him to the Coast Guard station and they hooked him up he was flat line.

I saw remarkable professionalism by the crew and all parties involved. The passengers on the dive boat were also very well composed and greatly assisted by staying out of the way.

I am not 100% sure, but I overheard the guy may have had prior medicals and quite possibly died of a heart attack and not due to rebreather issues of failure in procedures.

I just wanted to put this out as an eye witness before all the blah blah started.

Once again, congrats to you guys on a best attempt...you know who you are.

Yeah I was on the boat too and I observed everyone doing a remarkable job of helping the man. They did all they could do and then some.

It's always sad to have a death at sea, but likely better than a death on the Highway.

My condolences go to Family, and Friends. Sounds like everyone did what they could. Kudo's for that.

Back
Top Bottom