Rebreather or Anesthesia machine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, so I don't have a drug port on my JJ, I can't add N20, and I don't have the luxury of a trained professional running my rebreather for me during dives.

But other than that, not a lot of difference!

True…except for the part where you can inhale a shltload of Calcium Hydroxide and Sodium Hydroxide into your lungs.

True…except for the part where you can inhale a shltload of Calcium Hydroxide and Sodium Hydroxide into your lungs.

Not if you never take it under water!

OK, so I don't have a drug port on my JJ, I can't add N20, and I don't have the luxury of a trained professional running my rebreather for me during dives.

But other than that, not a lot of difference!

2 trained professionals actually if you count setup. There is the anaesthesiologist who watches the screens and twirls the appropriate knobs at the right time, and also the tech who does all the set up and maintenance of the unit before hand.

Before I got my RB, my anaesthesiologist wife knew waaaaayyyy more about rebreather operation and could converse more easily with RB divers than I could.

I like the analogy!
Now let's start work on that N2O MAV, Mike!
:D

Self-euthanasia machine if you don't pay attention. If something goes wrong it may not be evident without monitoring your PO2 and scrubber time.

Self-euthanasia machine if you don't pay attention. If something goes wrong it may not be evident without monitoring your PO2 and scrubber time.
Yeah, I don't know why Mississippi is making people that are on death row and about to be executed choose between the electric chair and a firing squad.

Put 'em on a rebreather and turn the O2 off. How hard is that?

I don't think you need a $15k machine to inhale a bunch of nitrous oxide. You can buy canned nitrous on amazon for next to nothing. I guess if you wanted you could plumb in an injection port for probably $20 or so in hardware.

..and just because it sounds like I'm a crackhead now.. I only know because I watched some documentary about it, was shocked, and checked Amazon myself. https://smile.amazon.com/Creamright-Ultra-Purewhip-50-Pack-Whipped-Chargers/dp/B0937CDNJK

I don't think you need a $15k machine to inhale a bunch of nitrous oxide. You can buy canned nitrous on amazon for next to nothing. I guess if you wanted you could plumb in an injection port for probably $20 or so in hardware.

..and just because it sounds like I'm a crackhead now.. I only know because I watched some documentary about it, was shocked, and checked Amazon myself. https://smile.amazon.com/Creamright-Ultra-Purewhip-50-Pack-Whipped-Chargers/dp/B0937CDNJK

I often use nitrous oxide in my ISI whipper, for making whipped creams, mouses and other culinary delights. It's quite standard in modernist kitchens these days.

Back
Top Bottom