Rebreather pile of doo doo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't compress liquid.
We all partially did it for a few months a few years ago.
It will happen.

what's so funny this technology has work for many premature babies why not for divers no bends no deco ??????

what's so funny this technology has work for many premature babies ... Wanna' tell me how many premature babies they've saved? I've been around long enough to have seen this fluorocarbon stuff recycled over and over again. This time by a geriatric physician who probably wants his name published before heading off to the horse pasture.

The US military has been experimenting with this stuff for a while. I remember a color spread in LIFE magazine (60's) with the rat happily breathing fluorocarbon with accompanying text about how wonderful science was.

As per the other thread-probably another offshoot from TDS forum where men with massive ego's poke each other with forks to see who's done first. :shocked2:

X

Okay, well here's a bit of insight, that could be complete BS, but I'll give it to you how I received from someone who could absolutely know. Question is, was he lying.

When I went to commercial dive school the head of the school was a retired Navy Diver that had spent years as a saturation diver and then spent years working at the NEDU in Florida. His knowledge on all aspects of commercial diving was pretty exhaustive. He told us that the diving medium used like what was explained in the The Abyss was NOT fiction. He said that the NEDU had been working on it, that they had successful results with mice or rats and actually had 4 volunteers to try the system out. Each of the 4 volunteers who tried the liquid medium described what they could only assume drowning felt like. Each of the 4 volunteers also stated that they would NEVER do it again. They explained that they were terrified during the experience and truly believed they were going to die.

Anyway, that's the story I got from an old Navy saturation diver and NEDU retiree. I never caught him in a lie, but who know's if it's true or not.

Okay, well here's a bit of insight, that could be complete BS, but I'll give it to you how I received from someone who could absolutely know. Question is, was he lying.

When I went to commercial dive school the head of the school was a retired Navy Diver that had spent years as a saturation diver and then spent years working at the NEDU in Florida. His knowledge on all aspects of commercial diving was pretty exhaustive. He told us that the diving medium used like what was explained in the The Abyss was NOT fiction. He said that the NEDU had been working on it, that they had successful results with mice or rats and actually had 4 volunteers to try the system out. Each of the 4 volunteers who tried the liquid medium described what they could only assume drowning felt like. Each of the 4 volunteers also stated that they would NEVER do it again. They explained that they were terrified during the experience and truly believed they were going to die.

Anyway, that's the story I got from an old Navy saturation diver and NEDU retiree. I never caught him in a lie, but who know's if it's true or not.

I believe this completely as General Electric (as far as I remember???) was involved in using this medium some odd 40 years ago. Also tactical submarine research was booming big business.

X

Back
Top Bottom