Rebreather Traveling Cases?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
Wanted to get some feedback from other RB divers, who travel with their rebreather. Wanted to know what case / model #, you pack your unit in, and if you bring the same case with you when traveling air or when driving.
I have a few larger pelican cases which is where I store my unit now, but was considering something smaller and more unit specific. I have a few of these for various items:
Weather Resistant Cases | Protective Cases | Waterproof Camera Cases

the cost is right, and they seem so far to hold up.

Wanted to know what others were using to protect their investment.

I use a Pelican Air 1607, works great. Super light weight case and holds up to the football like throws it gets to encounter at the airport.

I recently retired my old Tenba Air Cases and replaced them with Pelican Air 1615s, slightly smaller than the 1607's. Loaded with my Pathfinder CCR and a little bit of clothing, it weighs just a touch less than the 50 Lb. weight limit for check-in bags. When I'm driving, I simply assemble my rig at home or wherever I'm staying, and bring it to the dock or dive site ready to go.

I have flown with a meg, a pathfinder, a prism 2 and a kiss sport on differrent occasions using a travelpro suitcase as a carry on.

I use a Pelican Storm IM2975 - fits my CCR Liberty and other assorted gear perfectly. Plenty of room for decals too.

For my rEvo Exp (Smallest titanium version with upgraded counterlungs) a Peli Storm case iM2720 fits perfectly. Air travel requires to remove loop and BCD valve (low pressure at altitude). The loop then lays within the bottle clamps. As there are 6mm space left, the butplate fills this gap when removed. (see picture)

So far, the unit and all accessories except for weights and bottles bring the total weight to 22.5kG which is well within the common baggage allowance of 23kg for standard economy tickets.

I really had to search a lot for a practical solution and think about the packaging within the box so that additional foam etc. can be avoided. So far, after more than 50 flights and several tough land transports on- and offroad the unit did not even suffer a scratch. I am currently adding 200g silica gel during storage of the moist unit which seems to dry it out quite well and avoid any fungus etc. from forming.

The Storm Cases come with handle and rolls- this massively eases transport. The handles are non-removable and this enables the box to be locked to any pole using a simple bicycle steelwire lock where needed. A nice 'gone diving'-feature to leave your valuables on shore and the key well hidden in your drysuit :wink:

Must say- I am really happy with the quality of this cases so far...

WP_20160204_23_09_52_Pro.jpg

Decals like "expensive rebreather inside, steal me"? :)

I’d prefer stickers that state; “Mucous, Bile, and Phlegm Samples. Handle With Care.” These might lead to some rather pointed questions by customs authorities, but should be an effective means of discouraging pilferage.:D

I’d prefer stickers that state; “Mucous, Bile, and Phlegm Samples. Handle With Care.” These might lead to some rather pointed questions by customs authorities, but should be an effective means of discouraging pilferage.:D

Or ACME SEPTIC CLEANING? :) The TSA might get a little uptight over one of these thought.

upload_2018-1-13_19-15-59.png

Back
Top Bottom