Rebuilding regulator and BCD I just bought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Appreciate it uncfnp.

But do I need both those kits, the mk10 one from VDH and one from Scubatools? They are duplicate right? or do I need both?:

Store | Vintage Double Hose

Scubapro Mk5/Mk10 O'ring Tool Kit

so we're looking at $30 for the mk10 parts from VDH. (even though the Cristolube is out of stock right now) assuming no duplicate.
and a $41 scubapro multitool.

What about a brass oring pick? I don't think I have one of those in my toolbox.

also, a High Pressure Seat Removal Tool?

Thanks.

You will need the piston insertion tool from Herman and the o-ring tool. I agree with @couv I have Herman’s tool but didn’t see it on VDH so linked the scubatools one. Also agree on the Mult-tool but it does the job.

The lube is also available through scubatools but larger quantity but of course more expensive. Yes, you will need picks. And may want to consider an inline adjusting tool too.

But in this case I do prefer the scubatools version

Dual Drive Inline Adjusting Tool

You don’t need the HP removal tool.

But a pair of chopsticks can be very handy.

Couv, are you looking for a pin spanner to separate the body from the end cap? Those are fairly common.

I haven't seen anyone mention a bullet tool. You will need one of those. VDH as them or I also have one that is not in my catalog. Another tool to consider is a vise tool. You screw it into a LP or HP port on the body to give you some place to hold on to while you unscrew the cap.

Drop me a PM with your email address if you want a catalog.

Couv, are you looking for a pin spanner to separate the body from the end cap? Those are fairly common.
@herman Yes, I have a variety of hook spanners:
IMG_0001.JPG

However, I do not find them precise enough. The common hinged tool (middle in the picture above) does not fit the curvature of a reg body/cap very will, the bottom tool works pretty well, but I would prefer to have a round, adjustable, replaceable pin. I'm considering this tool C-Spanner for Scubapro First Stages but again, I don't know how precise it is, the pins are not replaceable (not a deal breaker-just a preference) and with shipping another $40 for a tool I may not be happy with.

For my personal regulators the three wrenches above work OK. Unfortunately, I have a habit of buying "challenging" first stages that require a more firm grip-and sometimes a gentle tap on the end of the handle is required.

This is why I beseech you so often to manufacture a "persuader" that won't slip so easily. As you know I have in mind something like a combination hook spanner that may have a single hinge, adjustable/replaceable pin, and two handles that nearly come together. Something like this (use your imagination to extend the hook and eliminate one hinge):
IMG_0003.JPG

BTW attached is a copy of @herman 's catalog for those who need it.

Attachments

• Custom Scuba Tools 2019.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 243
Ahhh, you want nuclear grade. :)
I have a special tool I made for DH regs that is big enough to twist one in 2.....haven't had any more problem children since I made it....think just the sight of it scares the nut off.
Hummm I have an idea, Couv, check your email.

@herman....well not full on nuclear. Per our emails, I think you may be on to something that we'll keep secret from the rest. :)
FWIW see the video below for the type of tool I was looking for. It's at mile marker 1:40

Edit with an update.

@The Chairman Thanks for helping pointing in the right direction.

I called ST and spoke with the gentleman Pete interviewed in the above video. Unfortunately ST has not put that cool wrench into production :-( due to the number of regulator diameters. I did my best to convince him he has a winner-he gave me a "yeah, I ought to....maybe."

Anyway, I've been looking for that tool for some time now, I guess I can stop searching.

Hi Noa8877,
Sorry, I don't have an answer but instead having a question. Hope you don't mind. I searched before but only found the youtube from double hose for MK5, can't find one for MK10 at all. Do you happen still have the link?
Thanks.

Actually I think the mk5 video covers the same thing, according to the guy doing the video. Very similar.

Thanks Noa8877,
Lucky for me I found your thread. We are on the same boat. I just got a good deal on the set of MK10 and G250 that I couldn't pass. Even though they look great and are working fine, but I decided to give it a try. Hope you don't mind that I play along asking questions here.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom