Rec Divemaster: any point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve seen OW instructors through my shop use Dive Rite BP/W, but it was the deluxe harness with all the quick releases and weight pockets on the harness belt. Definitely no long hoses at all I’ve seen, or continuous webbing harness.

DM in my area runs about $800ish, just for the course. Don’t know what extras are needed beyond that.
A few of our instructors actually dive BP/W during lake weekends and one even dives with a long hose. He also demonstrates (on the 3rd dive) why it's beneficial. I've also seen instructors dive in a ffm, which actually the last class I DM'd a couple weeks ago that's what we both dove and used coms, which seemed to be a pretty nice asset. This particular instructor even has the additional RX unit so he can put up to a student's ear and verbally tell them what he wants them to do. We had a nice conversation about it and standards after the class was over on Sunday and I honestly don't see a problem with diving different gear setups during checkout dives because it exposes students to things they may see out in the real world and teaches them the importance of buddy checks and being familiar with another diver's gear.

And I think when it was all said and done I paid about $1000 for my DM course, but it initially started out as a Master Scuba Diver course for another agency and then we were informed that the shop was switching agencies and given the opportunity to take the DM course for the cost of the training materials, which I think was about $175. 8 of us started, 6 of us finished and were the first DM's for the shop under SDI. I think only 3 of us actually actively DM though.

A few of our instructors actually dive BP/W during lake weekends and one even dives with a long hose. He also demonstrates (on the 3rd dive) why it's beneficial. I've also seen instructors dive in a ffm, which actually the last class I DM'd a couple weeks ago that's what we both dove and used coms, which seemed to be a pretty nice asset. This particular instructor even has the additional RX unit so he can put up to a student's ear and verbally tell them what he wants them to do. We had a nice conversation about it and standards after the class was over on Sunday and I honestly don't see a problem with diving different gear setups during checkout dives because it exposes students to things they may see out in the real world and teaches them the importance of buddy checks and being familiar with another diver's gear.

And I think when it was all said and done I paid about $1000 for my DM course, but it initially started out as a Master Scuba Diver course for another agency and then we were informed that the shop was switching agencies and given the opportunity to take the DM course for the cost of the training materials, which I think was about $175. 8 of us started, 6 of us finished and were the first DM's for the shop under SDI. I think only 3 of us actually actively DM though.

I should have specified the instructors wear the that specific gear during classes.

But the fact that I would have had totally change my gear configuration was another reason for the “hell, no!” to doing DM. I’ve worn a continuous webbing harness since a bit after OW. So during Advanced and Rescue. The instructors hated that harness with a passion. In fact, when a regular buddy of mine did Rescue last year, instructors actually mentioned me and my harness by name. Said you’d have a difficult time getting me out of it. I told my buddy that you just cut me out, no worrying about the lack of quick releases. In fact, if I’m having to rescue someone, I don’t care what kind of BC they have, I’m cutting the straps if that is the easier way.

You’ll take my pink Hs out of my cold dead hands. :D.

I told my buddy that you just cut me out, no worrying about the lack of quick releases. In fact, if I’m having to rescue someone, I don’t care what kind of BC they have, I’m cutting the straps if that is the easier way.

I would argue that not every diver carries a cutting tool on every dive. Though I haven't tried cutting through BCD straps, I would wager it's quicker to undo the quick releases, especially on the waist strap of many BCDs.

I would argue that not every diver carries a cutting tool on every dive. Though I haven't tried cutting through BCD straps, I would wager it's quicker to undo the quick releases, especially on the waist strap of many BCDs.

I dive with two. Line cutter on computer strap and shears on belt. But then I’m not the average diver.

I'll add my voice to agree with the theme of the thread. After I finished rescue I was strongly encouraged to take DM, but I dive for fun and I could see that it was sucking some of the fun out of things many.

I just finished my TDI Advanced Nitrox & Deco Procedures. I worked on it for two years. The first year to train on and get used to sidemount, the second for the actual course. To be perfectly honest, while it was fun it was not as fun as previous diving, and at times it really wasn't fun. I started writing the 'why' but I think it would devolve into a sidemount vs backmount debate so I took it back out.

Now that I'm done I'm having much more fun. The course really did make me a better diver, but I'm enjoying just doing simple dives without a deco bottle. I also enjoy helping new divers without the burden of being a DM. I have not forgotten how to use a yoke valve.

So I'll add my voice to those that say go for it with the tec route. Happy diving!

The instructors hated that harness with a passion.

That's because the instructors didn't know how to address pulling someone out. After undoing the belt, slide the straps over both shoulders. One hand on the valve, the other hand on the neck, and separate. I teach that and cutting the harness (webbing is cheap). I tell them to cut the harness in real life.

I'd argue that those divers are inadequately equipped.

I’ll echo previous posts to speak with @Jim Lapenta, he’s a great resource in western PA.

But I will offer a different take on being a DM. The course is what it is - you will refine basic skills, reinforce your rescue training and likely learn something about dive planning and supervision. And yes, someone gets paid. But if you expect any training you receive to teach you everything you need to know and to not have to practice what you learned I would think again.

Being a working DM can give you a LOT of time in the water. The skills I use as a DM that make me a better tech diver:
- Buoyancy and trim. In the pool I’m in shop gear but at the quarry I’m in my BPW. Often in side mount for advanced and specialty students. Either way I’m in horizontal trim and hold my position in the water column. This isn’t something that can only be done in BPW. And I am never on my knees beyond shallower water skills. When I am helping a student, I’m in trim, hovering.
- Propulsion. I hover above, next to or in front of the students. Moving back and forth and around the group with precision.
- Situational and ‘team’ awareness. A DM is monitoring the students, ensuring their safety. You learn to recognize problems early and help the student address them quickly. I am also watching the instructor and anticipating his next move or following his lead.
- Leadership, dive planning, safety and briefings. I get to lead trips and DM the dives. I was leader in the Army for a long time, including a good bit of combat experience. I still work on leadership skills.

And I do all of that at no cost to me. Along with the shop discount I get, I have more than recovered the cost for the course. You can save the money on the course and go diving. I honestly couldn’t estimate how much free diving I’ve done as a DM. A lot more than the course fee for sure and it will continue until I decide to stop.

Yes, it can be monotonous and some students can be challenging. But I’ve gotten enough out of it to make it worth it. I do enjoy training people and I am in an IDC currently. Maybe I’m biased. Maybe I laid out some things for you to consider.

I think obtaining your DM certification and training to be a proficient tec diver are world’s apart.

You need to follow your gut.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom